Chapter 8 - Ryder

*Edited*

"About damn time you got back,"

The phrase was followed by Christian clapping his hand down on my shoulder. I had finally arrived back at the house. After being gone for over a month, the familiar scents of my friends and home were extremely comforting.

"About damn time you got a haircut," I teased him, referring to his dirty blonde locks that were an inch from brushing his shoulders. He chuckled and pushed a hand through his hair, shaking his head to humor me.

"How'd everything go?" Bryli asked me. Annabelle, Yvonne, Nathan, Damien and Christian all stared over at me in question. Desperate to hear what the future of our pack had in store.

I shook my head though, unable and unwilling to give them the details of the meetings I had taken part in these past few weeks with my parents. They all rolled their eyes and groaned, different signs to show how annoyed they were with my answer.

"Go to bed, we'll catch up in the morning Alpha," Damien's words were serious and mocking at the same time and I couldn't help but feel defensive of my future title.

"Hey! One day I'm gonna make you call me that just to rub it in your ugly face," I sniped at him. Debating whether to stick my tongue out or not at him when Yvonne interjected. Telling everyone that we should go and sleep.

We all broke off, the others leaving with their mates as I walked down the hall all by myself. I made my way past my parents room, then my sister's before slipping inside mine.

I jumped into bed, excited to finally sleep in a bed that was not a pull out couch or air mattress. And my body seemed to agree, because as soon as I closed my eyes, sleep replaced my consciousness.

*****

The next day, I found myself already in town. Besides the fact that I had just wanted to sleep the hours away.

'How was I even convinced into doing this?' I thought to myself as I made my way into a shop.

"Because she's your mom and your Luna. And if you don't bring her the smoothie she might eat your head off," The next thought wasn't so much as a thought but a voice.

Luca my wolf, prowled around in my head as he showed pictures of the blonde woman who had forced me on this run. I grumbled my protests and slunked my way inside. Frustrated that I had to deal with this so early in the day.

"Hi there! What can I get you?" Someone greeted me. I gave them my mom's order before going over and waiting on the other side of the counter. Pulling open my phone, I saw that I had a missed text from my dad.

Opening it, I read the words from the Alpha of our pack.

"Two rogues entered the eastern border, a member was found injured. No traces of Werewolf marks though, Vampire."

I cursed under my breath and rubbed my forehead in attempt to ease the tension. This had been happening too often recently. Too many Vampire attacks. Too many bodies.

"Is the member dead?"

I responded to my dad. His bubbles caught up before another message formed on the screen.

"Yes,"

Anger burst through me in hot waves. It hadn't even been a day since I had returned and this is what was already happening. What bullshit.