Thirteen

"I think I may still have the wedding dress, though it's not as new as it was many lives ago, I don't know how my past life fit into it."

My laugh came out louder than I intended as I threw my head back and covered my mouth with my hand, trying not to choke on my food as Thor continued on with a classic adventure from Asgard.

After he had explained to me that this was an apology and 'let's talk and get to know one another meal', he'd started to spout stories from his childhood and other adventures and my chest hurt from laughing so much, breathing was a thing of the past and my lips were stuck in a joker's smile.

My fork hovered over my plate, the food waiting to be eaten getting cold as I tried to control my laughter enough to take another bite as Thor's story came to an end and gave me a chance to collect myself.

I didn't regret agreeing to come as much as I thought I would, although it did take us the walk to the restaurant to ease the tension that was building a silent wall between us.

Thankfully, by the time we sat down that wall had melted and we fell into easy conversation, Thor proving himself to be a better conversationalist than others would had led me to believe by some of the comments in their reports.

He was more knowledgeable and wittier than people gave him credit for and I was thankful that I took the chance and accepted the olive branch that he was brave enough to extend.

The food was amazing and the company was fantastic, it was proving to be a wonderful evening.

Of course, we both knew that that would have to turn at some point so that we could address the elephant in the room.

We continued chattering casually about nothing until dessert.

The waiter had taken our orders and plucked up our menus, telling us that he would be back in a few minutes before sauntering off.

I watched his back for a couple of steps then turned my attention back to Thor to see him looking at me with soft seriousness.

I stared at him in return then let out a long sigh.

"It's time, isn't it?"

"I'm afraid so," he nodded.

"Do we have to?"

He pulled his lips to one side and moved his head from one side to another while shrugging lightly.

"No, but I'd like you to at least hear out what I have to say."

"Okay, I can manage that."

I leaned back in my seat, resting my hands atop the table and linking my fingers, akin to that of someone sitting in an interview.

Thor gave me a grateful smile then cleared his throat.

"I understand why you are upset about what happened and I cannot make excuses for any of it, especially not on my brother's behalf," he started, looking from the table to meet my eyes, "I deeply regret what happened and I can't use Midgardian ale as an excuse but we truly weren't thinking clearly."

I nodded slowly, lifting my glass to take a sip.

"Mistakes were made that night and though Loki is many things, including a liar, a master manipulator and malicious when he wishes to be, he is not typically one to use someone's insecurity against them so casually, especially given his own issues."

"So why was I an exception?" I asked, my finger running over the rim of my glass.

"I cannot say for certain, he didn't truly have anything to gain from a drunken bet and yet he accepted, though I don't believe he anticipated the impact it would have on him."