The Cat that Wakes the Dead

Suresh woke up next to Jacob, which lead to a very awkward waking up. He opened his eyes, noticing the sunlight beaming through the curtains as it shone on his face. Then he noticed two pitch black pupils staring back at him, he nearly jolted till he realised it was Jacob.

"Morning." Jacob said, smiling sheepishly. "You know you snore pretty loud."

"Shut up." Suresh groaned and turned around and wrapped himself in his blanked like a cocoon. 

Jacob got up and sat on the peripheral of the bed. "Relax, Susu. Not like I had any trouble sleeping." He joked.

"Come on. Get up." Jacob beckoned. "Your mum's gonna come up here any second."

"Just five more minutes."

Jacob scoffed. "As if."

And just like that he materialised on Suresh's side of the bed. And Suresh squeaked in shock and Jacob burst into laughter. "Don't do that, asshole!"

"Suresh?" He heard his mother call from outside the room. Suresh sprung to his feet, as if he was being caught in bed with another boy (well he was but not technically).

The door opened and Lakshmi entered, already dressed in a black blouse and a silver-gilded necklace that glinted in the sunlight.

"Who were you talking to?" She asked confusedly.

"No one,  Amma." Suresh replied rather defensively.

Seeing how his mother's expression grew more curious, he followed with. "Just talking with myself."

"Hmm." She mused quietly. "Well go mandi and get changed, we're leaving soon."

Suresh sighed and did as she said, changing into a suit and tie (which he hated) and marching down the steps into the living area, Jacob following suit, where his parents were sat on the sofa.

"Ready to go, chellam?" Lakshmi asked. "We can have something to eat afterwards, we'll just pop in for a bit and pay our respects."

Once Suresh got bathed and changed, the four hopped into the car and made their way to the bungalow houses not far from where they lived. It was quiet and the sky was shrouded by a grey sheet of clouds. There was a catered buffet as well with a few tables. Some occupied by old men with half empty cups of beer and others with whispering aunties, no doubt still stunned by the sudden death of a young, healthy boy in their family.

Suresh was handed flowers by his mum and instructed to give it to Jacob's mum. It was a humble bouquet of white and yellow chrysanthemums. Nothing as fanciful as the floral arrangements lined up outside.

Suresh took his shoes off and entered with his parents on either side of him. Near the entrance was Datin Cindy who was dressed elegantly in a navy blue dress and her lips dyed maroon. Suresh straightened his tie as his parents went up to her and offered their condolences as well as a white envelope with 70 ringgit. Condolence money.

"Hello Aunty." He greeted her.  "Sorry for your loss."

He handed her the bouquet which she took wordlessly. At first she looked at him pensively before a dim expression of realisation hit her. He looked beside him to Jacob and noticed he looked away from her.

"You're a friend of Jacob aren't you?"

Both Jacob and Suresh were a bit surprised that she knew him. They had not met at all before this. Except the one or two rare instances when she'd actually show up to school functions and he saw her from afar.