Games Night

Alice was so thankful it was Saturday. The previous night had been tough - but such a weight had been lifted off her shoulders. She had slept like a baby for the first time in ages and had woken up feeling refreshed and recharged, even more excited for the fun evening ahead with her best friends.

As it usually does when you have something good planned, the day dragged by. She messaged Hayley at around four to ask if she wanted to come over to get and get ready sooner rather than later. Hayley didn't even message back, appearing at the door twenty minutes later with a bottle of rosé - what a girl.

'This is so lovely,' Hayley said as she sipped on her wine and read the little card Harry had given Alice the night before, 'He is literally the loveliest guy Alice,'.

'I know,' she blushed, pulling straighteners through her long soft hair and letting it fall down her back.She was flirting with the idea of cutting it shorter lately. Maybe a change is what she needed.

'Are you guys like, official yet? Has he called you his girlfriend?' Hayley questioned, perching herself on the bottom of Alice's bed after topping up both their glasses. She was already dressed for their evening, one of those girls that was able to throw on minimal makeup and pull a brush through her hair and look effortlessly beautiful. She had on a pair of plain skinny jeans, a black t-shirt with a white cardigan over her shoulders. Effortlessly chic and stunning.

'No, we haven't really talked about that to be honest, I don't think it matters,' said Alice, switching off her straighteners and double checking the makeup she had spent far too much time on earlier.

'Yeah, fuck labelling anything,' said Hayley, taking another swig of wine, 'So, Niall's hot - wouldn't mind getting to know him better,'. Alice turned so quickly she almost gave herself whiplash.

'What?' she laughed.

'Yeah, I was thinking about it last night when we were texting.' Hayley replied casually.

'You guys are texting?' Alice beamed as she dropped everything, grabbed her wine and shifted onto the bed next to Hayley - fully poised ready for any gossip Hayley was willing to dish.

Hayley laughed at Alice's reaction, 'Yeah, just getting banter really,' she said, 'he's nice, it's all chill,'.

'This is so awesome,' said Alice, 'think how cool this will be, best friends with best friends,' she felt herself getting excited, 'oh my days this will be so much fun if you guys-'

'Alright alright calm down girl,' Hayley jumped in, stopping Alice's train of thought from rattling away down the tracks, 'we are just texting - don't go planning our double weddings just yet,' she said and they both fell into a fit of laughter. The two of them clinked their glasses together and enjoyed a few more glasses of wine before they wrapped up warm and headed down to Harry's for the evening.

*

'Your my best friend mum, you're not going anywhere just yet,' Alice said as she dropped the ridiculous amount of pills her mum was prescribed to take each day into her weak and shaky hand.

'And you are mine, my sweet Alice,' she replied, her voice as shaky as her hands but her eyes so full of love for her daughter.

'What will we watch tonight? I thought maybe Wizard of Oz, it is nearly Christmas after all.'

Alice's mum laughed softly, 'Alice it's just turned November, you still have about six weeks,'.

'I know, but to me that's nearly Christmas!'.