Rush

Harry was so late, so unbelievably late. His flight was due to leave in two hours time and he still had a one hour drive to the airport ahead of him. The snow was falling heavily outside and for a second, Harry considered not going.

His mind wandered over how nice it would be to see Alice over Christmas, how he could give her the gift he got her on Christmas day rather than having to wait until January second when he flew home. He remembered though that his mum and sister were waiting for him, it had been months since they had all been together and he couldn't wait to spend time with them too.

'Cmon Harry, it's just a week,' he muttered to himself and he ran his hand through his hair, a slight sweat on his brow from the rushing around he was doing. He picked up his mum and sisters presents and popped them into his small suitcase. He didn't need to bring much, he still had things at his mum's house and she treated him like royalty when he was home anyway.

Ten minutes later he trudged through the snow after locking up his house, throwing his suitcase into the back of the car before moving around to climb in. It was absolutely freezing, the flakes of snow that were falling clinging to his hair and coat.

'Harry,' he heard someone call from behind him, 'Harry wait,'.

He turned to look where the voice was coming from and saw Alice clambering through the snow towards him, her beautiful smile breaking through the dull light of the day. A smile spread across his own face - he hadn't expected to see her again until he got home. She was wrapped up against the cold, a cozy jacket and a bright red bobble hat that almost drowned her yet looked so warm and cute. Alice's brown hair curled from the damp air and her cheeks were so rosy they almost matched her hat. His heart began to flutter, the sight of her making him forget he was already running late and really had to go.

'I didn't think I'd see you before I headed off,' he smiled, reaching out to pull her into a hug.

'I brought you some snacks for the journey but the snow is that deep I thought I might have missed,' she giggled, pulling back from his hug and reaching into her pocket. She pulled out a packet of chocolate buttons and he laughed lightly at how cute he thought she was.

'I'm going to miss you,' he said as he looked down into her eyes. Alice twiddled with his fingers that held onto her hand before she leaned forward and lay her head against his chest, still holding his hands in hers and squeezing them a little tighter.

'I'll miss you too, please please please be careful driving in this snow, I know it's not far but -', Alice trailed off, looking down at her feet, a worried expression on her face. Harry let go of her hands and pushed her chin up so they were looking into one another's eyes. He tucked a strand of her hair that had fallen across her face into the side of her hat before bringing his hand back to caress her cheek.

'I will, and I'm going to miss you so much more,' Harry said quietly as he leaned in to brush his lips across Alice's. He felt her push herself up onto her tiptoes, her hands pressed against his chest, her lips making their kiss deeper. Kissing her sent butterflies swarming through his belly each and every time. His heart always raced a little and he felt his cheeks beginning to flush without fail. As they kissed his hands moved from her arms, sliding down until he had a grip of her waist and pulled her closer. A small groan emitted from his throat as he got lost in the kiss more and regretting the fact he really had to leave now.

Alice pulled away from his lips before he had too and looked up at him, 'You have to go, you'll miss your flight at this rate,' she said sadly.

'Right now, I'm thinking that wouldn't be a bad thing,' he chuckled, although he felt a pang of sadness too.

She smiled up at him, 'Safe trip, and let me know you arrived safe,' she said before giving him one last quick kiss.

'I will, and Alice -,' he held her hand in his as she looked up at him with her warm brown eyes.

'Yes,' she said softly, squeezing his hand. Harry froze, those three little words were once again on the tip of his tongue but he couldn't bring himself to say them, not now.

'Have a wonderful Christmas,'.

*

'Do they know it's Christmas time at all,' Harry sang at the top of his lungs, as he sped along the back roads. He pushed his hand through his hair, his ring scattered fingers glistening in the setting sun. He had been on the road for about thirty minutes now but it seemed longer as the snow blocked the roads. Snow was falling heavily again and the road was becoming whiter and whiter the closer he got to the airport. He knew there may be a chance his plane wouldn't even take off at this rate, but he had to try and get there in case it did. His family were so excited to see him, his mum had phoned him that morning to check he was still coming, telling him all about the preparations she was doing. He was looking forward to spending time with them, but he would miss Alice a hell of a lot. She had become his person over the last few months.

Alice was always there for him when he needed, as he was for her. He felt protective of her, like he wanted to wrap her up in a blanket and hold onto her so she never got hurt or scared. During his previous and only long term relationship, he had turned into someone he didn't even recognise, as had the girl he had thought he had loved. That would never be the case with himself and Alice, they complimented each other just the way they were - like salt and pepper, yin and yang.

He adored the way she cared for her family, for Fred and her kind and gentle heart she had especially when working with the kids. It made him feel all warm and fuzzy inside. He adored the way she cared for her friends, for Hayley, even for Niall who she hadn't known for very long - her heart was so full of love for others.

Harry flicked his windscreen wipers up to full as the snow fell even harder, he hadn't even noticed the snow falling heavier - maybe it just happened suddenly. No other tracks were to be seen on the roads in front or behind him, the sky growing darker with the brewing storm and he pu this headlights on brighter - even though the sky wasn't fully dark.

His mind then drifted back to Alice, she was his rock. She had become the person he relied on most and her inner and outer beauty was something he couldn't get off his mind.

Harry's mind spiraled as he thought of those three little words again, the words he had never felt confident enough to say even though he was sure he was feeling them.

Alice Hathaway had stolen Harry's heart, he loved her in a way he had never felt before. He thought he had felt love once, but it was clear now what love was to him. Without realizing, he began to blush, a smile spreading across his face as the realization hit him. He loved her. It was without a doubt true, Harry was in love with Alice.

When he got to his mums he would phone her, tell her he couldn't wait to get home to see her. He was almost tempted to turn the car around now. He wouldn't tell over the phone, but he planned to when he was home. He would have her round for dinner, buy flowers, get her favorite bottle of rose in and tell Alice that he loved her. His mind was spinning with all his thoughts and plans, a buzz of excitement brewing inside of him. He felt relief at his realization and happiness at the route his life was about to take.

His mind drifted back to the song that was playing, realising it was a christmas classic. As he leaned his arm over to turn the music up, he felt the car jerk slightly before sliding gently towards one side of the road - the snow that lay on the road carrying himself and the car in a direction he wasn't steering.

Everything began to happen in slow motion, his heart feeling as though it had stopped for a second in his chest, a sickening feeling beginning to build in his throat. Harry gripped tighter to the steering wheel as he felt the car begin to slide faster onto the other side of the road. He muttered quietly to himself that it was okay, he would be okay - his voice became louder and louder as it dawned on him he no longer had any control over the car.

He prayed no oncoming traffic would appear as he soared to the other side of the road. His windscreen wipers on full speed but not helping him to see any clearer in the quickly darkening light, the snow even worse than before.

The car began to speed up, jolting slightly as he tried to break. It was impossible though, the only thing that was going to stop him was a snow drift, another object - or another car.

His heart was racing now, proper panic beginning to settle over the calmness he had felt before. Suddenly, a loud bang echoed through his ears dulled slightly by the Christmas music that was still playing through the radio - then darkness.