Chapter 1 - Delivery girl spotted

7:30 am. 

Right on the dot. 

Rarity sees her out of the corner of her eye again as she walks down the hallway navigating towards her first class of the day. 

That girl. 

She's one of the Sweet Apple Acres Co.'s delivery girls that comes here every day at the same time in the morning to refill the vending machine with their various apple-flavored pies and soft drinks. 

And just as expected - here she is again. You might think Rarity is crazy for noticing such a mundane person and their exact appearance time, but she has a really good reason for it!

You see, ever since the mysterious apple girl started arriving every morning since the installation of the aforementioned vending machine, Rarity only had one thing on her mind. 

It kept her awake, it made her irritated, yet she couldn't stop thinking about it. That apple girl...

always had the muddiest boots imaginable. 

No, this was not your average flick of dirt or small stain. We are talking heaps of piled-on crud which seemed to be a mixture of what Rarity could only imagine was rocks, soil, and cow manure - judging from the smell alone. 

Why, it made Rarity positively livid to have such a disgusting person walk the pristine and aesthetically pleasing hallway of a high fashion university, of all places. 

Someday, Rarity just wanted to walk up to her and give her a piece of her mind! Who does she think she is, waltzing right up here and disrupting her creative flow on a daily?

'Uh..can I help you?'

Rarity snapped out of her fury-induced imagination and faced the fact that the terrible apple girl had been speaking to her. Rarity's face went red, as she realized that she had been probably glaring at her this whole time. 

'I, um... why yes. You can help me.' Rarity replied with a sly tone lacing her request. 'Could you be so kind, darling, as to not track mud everywhere! I mean, every day, this exact time, like clockwork! Ugh, if only you were as pedantic when it comes to dirt as you are to time.' Rarity scoffed and folded her arms in disapproval. 

The Apple girl, on the other hand, gave her a long sigh and an eye roll. 'Why no, I can't do that ''Darlin''. This is one of the many buildings I have to come in and serve on the daily. I ain't got time to be cleanin' my boots and focusing on minor unimportant stuff like that when I got work to do!' The girl spoke in an irritated tone, her voice strongly accented with a southern flavor. 

Rarity smirked, growing even more annoyed. 'You? You have work to do? Oh, then go ahead, do as you please, as you're the only person between the two of us who has got responsibilities and a tight schedule. It's not like I have to do my work properly as well, and yet somehow, I manage to leave my surroundings in the same, if not better shape than I left them in. But I guess that would be too difficult for a ..farm girl, or whatever you're supposed to be.' Rarity schoffed, eying the girl up and down. 

'What did you just say about me , you stuck up bitch? Just cause I do physical labor and I manage to get dirty while doing it, because, you know, it's fucking physical labor, doesn't mean my work this is any less than yours. At the very least, I don't come up to people and criticize them for shit I know is too irrelevant to care about.' The girl grew more and more furious with every word she spoke. 

'How dare yo-' Rarity got interrupted by her phone ringing and vibrating in her pocket. She glanced at it, than back at the annoying presence before her. 'Whatever. I don't have time to deal with you today.' she regained her posture, and walked off, not letting the girl see the teeth grinding anger that was boiling under her demeanor. 

* * *

Rarity sat behind a desk in the library, it was hours later, yet the conversation from this morning still stuck with her, resonated inside her head, and agitated her to her very core. This school was supposed to be a creative sanctuary, someplace where she could work on improving her skills and getting inspired, and she was disrupting it. 

Rarity looked at her phone, checking for any texts. She was supposed to meet with a friend in the library, but her friend was nowhere to be seen. 

She tapped on the desk, trying to ease her nerves, as she closed her eyes and imagined herself in a more ideal version of her environment. 

Things weren't supposed to be like this. Everything is completely off balance and she can't focus on the one thing she was always good at. Her whole livelihood was being threatened by a minor inconvenience, and if she didn't vent about it to someone soon, she would have a public meltdown. 

'Sorry I'm late.' 

Rarity opened her eyes, and to her relief, her friend had finally come. 

Twilight Sparkle, the girl studying at Canterlot U, a notoriously difficult school to get into, and who was majoring in an engineering degree, has been her friend for a while now. Rarity never understood how someone can confine their whole being into being stuck in books that aren't romance, but she wasn't one to judge. To each their own, after all - besides, studying weird gadgets and whatever she was going was a harmless, mudless hobby. 

'Oh, thank goodness you are here Twilight. I've had the worst day!' Rarity sighed, rubbing her temples with her fingers. 

'Let me guess. Delivery girl tracked mud into the hallways again?' Twilight smirked, as she knew this to be a regular topic of discussion when it came to Rarity's woes. 

'Yes, that's right.  Only this time - I actually confronted her about it. And oh, my dear Twilight, let me tell you what a snarky little brat she is. She was all 'I don't have time to think about mud' and all of that. I mean, excuse me? It's not like it is a difficult task to keep your shoes clean? No matter how many errands or obstacles you face, your appearance should be one of your top priorities. But, she clearly doesn't understand the concept of personal hygiene, as it seems every day she comes in smelling worse and worse. 

Anyway - all that is to say that I don't think she took my excellent advice to heart and will continue being a menace on my nerves and mood.' Rarity exhaled deeply and let her head rest on the desk for a moment while she recollected herself. 

'I just don't really understand why this specific person gets such a rise out of you.' Twilight muttered under her breath as she opened her laptop and started typing something up. 

Rarity lifted her head, and with an irritated furrowed brow glared at Twilight. 'I'm sorry, darling, have you not been paying attention all the weeks I've been complaining about this specific problem? Do I need to repeat how her disgusting presence drags itself all over my creative aura??'

'Oh, don't worry, I got that part: I'm just wondering why her dirt specifically is the bane of your existence.' Twilight continued, absentmindedly. 

'Why, whatever do you mean? I have not seen another person with such appalling behavior since I started going here!'

'This whole time there's literally been a girl splashing mayo from her sandwich all over her desk next to us.' Twilight said in a monotone, as she pointed with her thumb to the next table over.

Rarity glanced in the direction Twilight was pointing to, and sure enough- she was right. A girl about her age wearing a tracksuit with bright rainbow hair had her entire workspace covered in mayo and cits of lettuce, with more coming from her mouth every time she chewed. 

Rarity went green in the face and stood up. 'I'm just gonna go if you don't mind. Nobody here knows proper cleanliness and it's stifling my creative flow.' 

'Consider what I said please!'