Many Doors

The doors seemed to grow taller by the second. It was as if they twisted and turned at the sight of Joseph. Each door was coloured differently, and all led to nowhere. They were just lonely doors in the middle of a lush field.

There were two things he could do. Run and forget this moment, or venture forward and turn a door handle. He knew one of them was past, another one the worst of the present, best of the present, what to come, and dreams. This was not the first time he had seen these doors. The image of the doors in front of him brought back childhood memories.

He was in his living room, and where the sunlight hit, five doors faded into view. His mother was there too. She had gasped at the sight of the doors and left Joseph, she went through a magenta door. There was a magenta door in the field, too. Maybe if he went through he would meet her again. "What could I say? How would she feel when she sees me?"

His mind was a never ending rollercoaster, his thoughts a whirlpool. All he needed to do was turn the doorknob and enter the realm beyond. It was that simple. That simple.

He raised his hand, and he felt the metal brush against his skin. Then he lowered it. What was he thinking? How did he know that this was good? After all, it could lead to the land of nightmares! He was being stupid.

"Don't go in," Joseph told himself. "Just don't"

He tumbled down onto the grass and let the sun massage his face. The wind combed his hair and the grass tickled his back. He lay there watching the clouds above form into armies, into cats, and disappear. "If I go in, I might see my mother." the thought repeated in Joseph's face.

"Go on, go in!" The voice said.

"Don't you dare!" Another said.

There was only one thing standing in the way. His thoughts.

Joseph pulled up a sigh from his throat. He'll do it. He'll open the door, and not even his mind will stop him. His body would do it no matter how hard his brain would try.

"Here we go," muttered Joseph, as he turned the handle of the Magenta door. Clunk. The door shut behind him, as the magenta colour faded and was replaced by a dark, bloody red. Nightmares.