Chapter 3

Brought to you by The DUFF movie, in theaters February 20.

The fact that Bailey pretty much lives with me is annoying at times. I get that my dad doesn’t like me being by myself all of the time, but sometimes I like it that way. For instance, on the rare occasion that Bailey actually does stay at her house, I have my king sized bed all to myself. My dad even gave one of the guest rooms to Bailey so she could have her own bed, but for some reason Bailey likes to make every night she sleeps over some kind of slumber party.           

“So do you like Marco?” Bailey asks for the millionth time.

I roll my eyes so hard that they almost stick. “I barely know Marco, Bailey.             

“I think you guys would be so cute together,” she smiles. “He’s still with Meredith though, isn’t he?” When I confirm with a nod, she continues. “Dalton told me she…” Bailey trails off, staring down at her phone, like she’s trying to pretend that she didn’t just start a sentence with any intentions of finishing it.                

“Dalton told you she what?” I prompt, wanting to know what she could possibly know that Marco hasn’t already told me.

“Don’t say anything to Marco because Dalton’s going to tell him, okay?” Bailey says. “There was kind of a little detail that I left out earlier when we were talking about the whole Tristan situation that happened last night. Dalton found out that Meredith’s been cheating on Marco,” she tells me.             

Oh, I already know that, and so does Marco, it’s not my business to talk about. “Does he know who the other guy is?”                 

“She kind of…made out with Tristan last night,” Bailey informs me. “So there’s at least one person.”       

How did I not see that one coming? “Oh.”               

“In his defense, he did it after he found out you left with Marco,” bailey says, as if that’s supposed to cheer me up, better yet justify it in any way.                 

“Bailey, it’s fine, really, I’ve known for how long that Tristan’s a cheater? You don’t have to tiptoe around the topic,” I assure her, shifting so I’m more comfortable in my bed as I face the TV.                 

“Are you seriously going to bed?” Bailey changes the conversation. “It’s like seven o’clock. And it’s Saturday.”                 

“Bed? No way, are you crazy? Do you see how many seasons of Gilmore Girls I have left?” I point to the screen.                 

Bailey laughs. “You’re a mess. Well do you mind if Dalton comes over? He’s renting movies and we’ll hang out in the living room so we won’t interrupt your Netflix time,” she promises, getting of my bed and walking towards my door. “You could join if you want?”                

I shake my head. “Have fun,” I tell her, knowing I’ll be staying in my spot for the remainder of this night.   

“You too!” she calls out from the hallway.                 

I press play and continue watching my fourth consecutive episode in a row. Last night was great, now here I am, back to my same old patterns. Don’t get me wrong, I love my time alone, but I kind of want that relationship. Or at least somebody to spend time with, Tristan would never just sit down and watch a movie with me, even in the beginning.