Chapter 5

If somebody would’ve told me two weeks ago that I would be getting ready for homecoming at this very minute, I would’ve called definite bullshit. But since Marco and I have been inseparable this whole week, it’s slightly more fathomable; I’m still not used to it. It was kind of last minute, so unfortunately that means finding a dress was also very last minute. Luckily I was able to find a simple, but elegant strapless, red dress when Bailey dragged me to the mall yesterday.           

I’m really nervous about this whole thing, partially because I’m in charge of capturing the whole night on camera. Marco made me promise that I would at least dance with him once because he knows I’m going to be busy all night. I’m surprised he even asked me at all honestly. I was just planning on going in casual clothes to get the pictures. Instead, this night has turned into my first dance as well as my first photo-shoot.           

Suddenly I feel a burning sensation against my ear that pulls me back to reality. “OW!

Bailey, I have no problem going with half a head of curled hair, but I do however like my ear, now stop burning me!” I shout         

“If you would’ve started earlier, like I did, we wouldn’t be rushing,” Bailey retorts.           

“There was no need to start getting ready at eight o’clock in the morning,” I point out.           

She rolls her eyes and quickly finishes curling the hair on the right side of my head. Next, she paints make-up on my face like I’m her canvas. Once she’s finished, I take a look in the mirror and I’m honestly shocked that I don’t look like a clown.           

“You did a great job, I almost look aesthetically pleasing,” I joke.           

“You look great and you’re welcome,” Bailey laughs, taking credit. “Now let’s go.”           

Marco and Dalton have been awkwardly waiting downstairs with my dad for twenty minutes while Bailey was creating a new face for me.           

I grab my photography camera and my strappy clutch purse with my phone and lip stick in it. I put the camera strap around my neck and let me clutch strap hang from my shoulder. Okay, I think I’m ready.           

We rush down the stairs, our heels clacking against the hardwood. In the living room my dad and Marco are laughing about something while Dalton stares off into space. Bailey had to beg him to go, so I’m sure he’s thinking of a million things he’d rather be doing.           

“I’m ready,” I announce, tugging on my dress, trying to get it to cover my knees, but the fabric doesn’t reach.           

Marco gazes up at me and shoots up from the couch, holding a red corsage in a clear box. “Whoa,” Marco breathes, walking over to me. “You look beautiful.”

“Make-up does amazing things,” I giggle.           

Marco shakes his head. “You’d look just as beautiful without it, if not more,” he says simply as he slips the corsage on my wrist.           

“Okay, kiddo, hand over the camera,” My dad says.           

I shake my head. “Dad, no.”           

Marco takes unclasps it from the strap and so smoothly takes it, handing it to my dad.           

“Alright, everybody line up and say cheese.”           

“You shouldn’t have a problem with that,” I tease Marco, poking fun at his talent to spew cheesy lines on the spot.           

Once we’re done taking a million pictures, Dalton and Bailey take his car, while Marco and I ride in his. We pull into the school’s parking lot and head for the gymnasium. I’ve always hated the fact that dances are held in the gym, but since Alivia talked me into joining the decorating committee, we were actually able to make it look really great and not smell like gym socks.