Chapter 5: Potions with Snape

We walk into Snape's class, from the books I really hated how Snape favored slytherins so I expect this to be a terrible year

"Ah, Yes," Snape said softly, "Harry Potter, Our new... celebrity."

"You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion making," he began "As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses.... I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death -- if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."

More silence followed this little speech. Harry, Ron and I exchanged looks with raised eyebrows.

"Potter" said Snape suddenly "What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

"I don't know, sit," Harry said

"Tut, tut -- fame clearly isn't everything"

Snape was really starting to get on my nerves and make my blood boil

"Let's try again. Potter, where would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar"

"The stomach of a goat" I blurted out

"You are not to speak unless spoken too, five points from Gryffindor... Now unless your name is Potter, you do not speak"

"I don't know, sir" Harry responded

"Thought you wouldn't open a book before coming, eh, Potter"

"What is the difference, Potter, between monkshood and wolfsbane?"

"I don't know," said Harry quietly. "I think Hermione does, though, why don't you try her?"

A few people laughed at Harry's remark

"Sit down," he snapped at Hermione "For your information, Potter, asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught of Living Death. A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and it will save you from most poisons. As for monkshood and wolfsbane, they are the same plant, which also goes by the name of aconite. Well? Why aren't you all copying that down?"

There was a sudden rummaging for quills and parchment. Over the noise, Snape said, "And a point will be taken from Gryffindor House for your cheek, Potter."

While we were working on our potions, Neville had somehow managed to melt Seamus's cauldron into a twisted blob, and the potion was seeping across the stone floor, burning holes in people's shoes. Within seconds, the whole class was standing on their stools while Neville, who had been drenched in the potion when the cauldron collapsed, moaned in pain as angry red boils sprang up all over his arms and legs. It hurt seeing Neville like that.

"Idiot boy!" snarled Snape "I suppose you added the porcupine quills before taking the cauldron off the fire?"

"LEAVE THE POOR BOY ALONE" I shouted at Snape

Neville whimpered as boils started to pop up all over his nose.

"Take him up to the hospital wing," Snape spat at me. I know it wasn't me who was to help him to the hospital wing to begin with but I guess time is already messed up "Miss Rivers, detention tomorrow in my office"

As I left the class I was vaguely able to hear Snape scolding Harry

"You... Potter, why didn't you tell him not to add the quills? Thought he'd make you look good if he got it wrong, did you? That's another point you've lost for Gryffindor."

Snape so made me want to punch him but I know doing so would get me in a lot of trouble

We walk in to the hospital wing to see Madam Pomfrey with another student

"Oh my, what happened here" She said when she notices our appearance

"Potion" I say and she nods

"Cheer up," said Ron, "Snape's always taking points off Fred and George. Can I come and meet Hagrid with you?"

"Me too"

At five to three they left the castle and made their way across the grounds.

"Back, Fang, back."

Hagrid's big, hairy face appeared in the crack as he pulled the door open.

"Hang on," he said. "Back, Fang."

He let them in, struggling to keep a hold on the collar of an enormous black dog. There was only one room inside. Hams and pheasants were hanging from the ceiling, a copper kettle was boiling on the open fire, and in the corner

"Make yerselves at home," said Hagrid, letting go of Fang, who bounded straight at Ron and started licking his ears. Like Hagrid, Fang was clearly not as fierce as he looked.

"This is Ron," Harry told Hagrid, who was pouring boiling water into a large teapot and putting rock cakes onto a plate.

"Another Weasley, eh?" said Hagrid, glancing at Ron's freckles. "I spent half me life chasin' yer twin brothers away from the forest."

"I am Amy Rivers" I said, holding out my hand

"Nice ter meet you, I remember yer parents" He said, shaking my hand

"An' as fer that cat, Mrs. Norris, I'd like ter introduce her to Fang sometime. D'yeh know, every time I go up ter the school, she follows me everywhere? Can't get rid of her... Fitch puts her up to it."

"I actually have to go see dumbledore, see you later"