Seven steps to tie a knot

"The next day, under the guise of doing her business, Rabia inspected around the campsite. There was a little niche hidden well anong the bushes.

Every night after Sanah left, Rabia left after some time and hid in the niche hearing them talk.

Their talk mostly made little to no sense to her. They were talking about strategies. And after a couple of days, they talked about assassinating the king and the queen.

Rabia's blood ran cold. Her sister and her brother in law were going to be killed.

She wanted to scream and ask them why. What had they done? Wiping away her tears, Rabia planned to listen to them every night abd sabotage the assassination.

***

"I have decided on my first wish."

The next morning, she was surprised that the mad king had called for her. They were to break fast in the king's personal garden.

Dilruba got ready as soon as possible l, she chose a yellow chiffon dress and simple jewelry to adorn her neck and ears.

Dilruba had thought long and hard about how she would execute the plan. There were a mere 10 nights left. She was glad she had asked for 3 wishes.

She was going to redeem one of the wishes today itself. She was dressed to entince him. But she found herself enticed.

When she walked in the garden, she was amazed. Sun beams streamed in the garden and yet it was cool and pleasant. In the grass was a table with various items.

"You're here." Her eyes turned to him and her breath notched in her throat.

He wore a red tunic studded with tiny stones which shined in the sun. He wore a turban today. His eyes gleamed in various hues of amber. Dilruba thought he had looked divine.

Now that after the story and the breakfast was done, she waited for him to say somehing.

The mad king swirled his tea, his pressed his lips on the rim and sipped the bitter liquid. He looked at her and his eyes told her to go on.

Dilruba took a deep breath abd cast her eyes away from him. She couldn't relay it to him while he looked at her like that. She twisted her fingers and squared her shoulders.

"I wish to marry you in a grand wedding."

Dilruba looked at his face and instead of shock there was a calculating look. The glass clinked as he set it down.

"Marriage won't save you." He told her.

Her hands were in fists. "I know that."

"Then why? Why do you ask for this?"

"Isn't it every girl's dream? To get married?" He did not seem convinced to her so she said, "Are you going to deny me after you gave me your word?"

He shook his head, "Forgive me, Sherezaade. I was merely trying to understand your reason."

"Will you grant me my wish, your majesty?"

"We shall have a wedding in 2 days."

***

The kingdom was abuzz with the news. The mad king who was rumoured to hate women and kill them was marrying. The people rejoiced and they were curious about the woman who had tied him down.

Rumours of her beauty and wit spread far and wide. The wedding was announced in court and Dilruba's maids rushed in giggling and stumbling asking her questions.