2. The Deal

THE BEAST

I look up from my book when I hear the sound of horse hooves beating the cobblestone bridge leading up to my castle.

I place the book down and have one final stretch before I flick my wrist and appear, now fully clothed, on the bridge in front of a frightened horse and a knight upon it.

The knight was a short fellow, quite large though. An odd shape. The iron armour seemed too big for the small man beneath it. Almost as if it were borrowed. Which is understandable, nobody would want to risk coming to the Outlands without some form of protection from the mystical beasts that lurk within.

The Knight begins to soothe their horse with soft whispers, muffled by their helmet.

With no patience, I lift my hand and in an instant the knight is off the horse and floating 4 feet off the ground desperately trying to grip at the invisible force around their neck.

Their horse takes off, leaving me alone with the knight.

"Who are you, intruder. State your business!" I command.

They drop to the ground as I lower my hand.

"Forgive me, Sir...", they pulled off their helmet and their long red hair cascaded down her back. "My name is Myrabel."

Her bright blue eyes meet mine and I immediately look away. I had never met a woman in my true form before. Whenever I ventured into the kingdom I used a cloaking spell. I attempt to look nonchalant and place one hand on my elbow and play with sparks of magic at the fingertips of my other hand.

"Why are you here, Myrabel?" I try to sound menacing, but her name on my tongue leaves a bitter aftertaste.

The girl remains silent. She removes a chain mail glove and begins to massage her injured throat with her tiny hand.

I circle the mysterious woman that sits before me. I run one long fingernail over her head and pluck a single strand of hair from her head.

"Ow!" Her hands fly to her head immediately as a examine her hair in the sunlight.

The hair on your head can tell a thousand stories, they grow right next to the mind. Every memory, every secret, every lie; It can all become clear with a single strand of hair.

I let my fingertips absorb the knowledge that this single hair holds. I don't need it all. Just the answer to why she is here.

~~ A few hours earlier ~~
Myrabel's wakes up before the sun, sneaks into an elderly man's room and opens his closet taking out his armour.

She lets her dress fall to the floor and begins to dress herself in the ill fitting armour.

She tip toes over to the door and is stopped by a guard.

"Princess! Where are you going?" He says as he takes in her appearance.

She grabs the sword from her side and lifts it towards the guard,
"You cannot stop me! I am going to The Beast."
~~~~~
I cringe at the name and tear my eyes away from the hair.