Chapter One: That Fresh New Life

*:·゚✧*:·゚✧

Ransom sighed to himself as he watched a pair of scrawny inmates start a brawl in the middle of the cafeteria. Probably about something very minimal. It was the third one this week by his counting. He was sick of it, he would be glad when he was out of the place with his freedom back, but no, he was stuck in prison, for life, after he was found guilty in having a hand in his own grandfather's death. Harlan Thrombey's death, even though was technically suicide (he slit his own throat for God's sake!) Ransom played a part as he had tried to frame Marta Cabrera for his death. He tried so fucking hard for her to be sent down for Harlan's death. Only because his grandfather decided to leave everything in his will to Marta, his nurse. Not a single red dime to his family, their birthright all gone because of a piece of paper. His fortune. House. The publishing company, Blood Like Wine. All gone from the family's grasp in a matter of minutes at the will reading. All gone to her. God, he despised her, he thought she was decent for helping his grandfather, but now, he hated her.

When he was sentenced for his crimes, his own mother disowned him. She shouted as the police officers took him away, shouted that he wasn't any son of hers, that when he is released not to bother crawling back to the family. Not that he cared anyway, they all treated him like shit and he knew that it was them that influenced his behaviour. Born into money, always having money without having to worry made him abuse this privilege, especially with his drinking, shopping habits and also that he was always at the country club which cost a bomb each month for the membership. His grandfather was the only one who supported his ways, because he supported the entire family.

Looking back now, after nearly 2 years in prison, Ransom knew that he had the opportunities to make his life better, make his family proud of him but he always knew that he grandfather would have his back, especially with the money he had in the bank. Ransom needed to get out, prove himself to the world that even though he was a criminal, he could turn his life around and be a good person. Even though it would take a long time to get to the place he wanted, potentially a family and a loving wife, a career that he loved. He never thought he would want that from his life, especially after seeing what his family were like when it came to love, he didn't like the role models he had for this. But, Ransom was ready, he wanted to be a better person. He thought that her was doing well with this by keeping to himself in here, not engaging in the fights or the gang culture that has prevailed in the prison. Drugs. Contraband. You name it, inmates found a way to get it in under the warden's nose.

Ransom believed that he was a changed man, that hopefully he would have a life that he never thought he wanted when he gets out of prison, if he gets to leave prison that is.

*:·゚✧*:·゚✧

Ransom was laying on his very uncomfortable bed, tattered book in hand as he read quietly. His cellmate was down at the gym, fucking wanker, Ransom thought, he never understood why he had to be at the gym all the time. Maybe he was part of one of the multiple gangs that were in the prison, not that Ransom cared. As long as he was able to keep to himself, away from the troublemakers so that he could potentially be released early.

"Drysdale..." The warden said as he stood in the open doorway, looking at Ransom sprawled out on his single bunk, one arm resting under his head as he held the book up with his other hand. "Your attorney's here to talk...said it is urgent..." He says in his bored and uninterested tone. Like we all have better places to be, Ransom thought as he looks from the book to the warden.

Ransom frowns as he shuts the book, sitting up and making sure he doesn't bang his head on the bunk above his. "He is? I haven't spoken to him in over a year, we both agreed that there was no point in trying to appeal my sentence..." Ransom was just so confused that his attorney was here to speak to him after radio silence from the outside world for over a year.

The warden stood there and sighed, not caring about what Ransom had to say as he guided him towards the meeting room, probably wanting to get back to his office with a coffee and doughnut. Ransom glanced round as he passed the other cells and inmates, not making any contact so they don't say anything to him to rile him up. He couldn't wait to get out of here, back out into the world, a new man.

As the warden let Ransom into the room, his attorney stood as the door opened and reached over, shaking Ransom's hand quickly. "Ransom, sit please, we have had some news about your sentence..."

Ransom could sense the uneasy tone of his attorney's voice as he sat down on the hard chair slowly. Maybe they have added more time on to the original sentence, but he can't understand why they should. There wasn't any more evidence incriminating him or he would have heard before now. He hasn't given them a reason to while he has been in here. "Okay...what's going on then..?"

"Well, since you have been like a model inmate over the last 2 years, no complaints about you, no fighting and no need for solitary confinement, the judge has looked over the sentence he originally gave to you, and, by careful consideration that you are not a threat to the public, he is happy to release you, as long as you follow some conditions..."

Ransom looked at his attorney shocked, he was getting released? He thought he would never get out of here. "What are the conditions?" Ransom asks, suddenly a little nervous, but overjoyed that he would be able to go home.

Home. He can make that start on his fresh new life that he wants to have now, no matter what it takes.

*:·゚✧*:·゚✧