Chapter 5: You Are Your Own Person

*:·゚✧*:·゚✧

Over the next few days Ransom was unable to get you out of his head. You were all he could think about, whether that was while he was at the publishing company or at home in the evening. He was truly smitten about you and he only had seen you that one time in the diner. It was love at first sight for Ransom and he didn't know how to handle this as he had never been in love before. He had never had the experience of seeing two people truly in love, his family were only married for the money, for the success business, not for love. Being in love with someone he had just met was terrifying for Ransom, but he knew that if he wanted this new life to be the life he should continue on, away from his terrible family, then maybe facing his fears is what he should be doing.

Ransom glanced up from his desk in his office, watching his employees work away happily, a brief smile coming to his face before reaching in his trouser pocket for his phone, looking for your number, biting his lip as he typed out a message that he never thought he would send to a girl in a million years.

Ransom: Hey, wanna meet up for lunch? Ransom x

He didn't need to wait long for your reply, only a matter of minutes after seeing the typing bubble pop up to indicate that you were typing.

You: Of course, lunch sounds great! x

Ransom breathed out a sigh of relief before smiling and leaning back in his chair, he was going to lunch with someone other than his old country club buddies, who didn't even know that he was out of prison, or his selfish family. He was going to be spending time with someone he actually wanted to spend time with and, hopefully, enjoy himself and not leave angry and wanting to be an asshole to anyone he came into contact with afterwards.

*:·゚✧*:·゚✧

Ransom bit his lip as he walked into the cafe you suggested where to meet for lunch, his palms were sweating at the thought of seeing you again and he glances round the cafe to see if you were already there. When he realises that you weren't he finds a quiet table and sits down, wiping his clammy hands on his trousers to dry them and to try and calm his nerves.

You walk into the cafe not even two minutes after Ransom has sat down, smiling at him apologetically as you make your way over to the table. "Hi, sorry I am late, meeting ran a little longer than I expected..."

Ransom chuckles and shakes his head. "No need to apologise, I haven't been here too long myself..."

You smile a little more in relief as you sit opposite the blonde haired beauty of a man slowly, setting your purse on the chair next to you and switching your phone on silent so you can use your lunch to relax for the first time in months.

"So, is there a reason why you asked me to lunch?" You ask Ransom and smile at him gently, biting your lip.

Ransom can't help but look a little shocked and nervous by your question before clearing his throat a little. "Um, well I enjoyed your company a lot the other night, and I uh..." His cheeks redden at what he is about to say and you can feel his nerves radiating from him.

Reaching over the table you place your hand over his gently and gives it a light squeeze. "Whatever it is, you can tell me..." You say softly, rubbing your thumb over the back of his hand to help him calm down.

"I think I like you...I know we only met the other day and you must think I am crazy, but I couldn't stop thinking about you..." Ransom admits and stares at your hands so he doesn't have to look you directly in the eye, terrified of what you are going to say to him.

Your voice gets stuck in your throat as you watch Ransom, your cheeks turning the same shade as his and you slowly smile gently. "I didn't think you Drysdale's cared for anyone but yourselves...but you have proved me wrong..." You say and Ransom slowly raises his head to look at you, still nervous about being sat here with you, pouring out his feelings.

You squeeze his hand before biting your lip gently. "You're not crazy Ransom, I like you too..." You say and Ransom couldn't help but let a grin take over his face and he holds your hand in his.

"So is this a date?" He asks quietly before bringing your hand up to kiss your knuckles gently. You watch his every move before nodding gently, your own grin taking over your face before you talk to him about what to order for lunch. During the date you move to sit next to him, holding his hand the entire time as you knew that as you were both busy at your respective jobs, times like this would be far and few between so you wanted to make the most of it.

*:·゚✧*:·゚✧

After your date (that Ransom happily paid for in full) he insisted that you spend the rest of your lunch break with him, walking with you to Blood Like Wine hand in hand. A soft smile has not left his face ever since you admitted your feelings to him, and a warm feeling was taking over his chest.

"So, Marta just gave you the publishing company? No strings attached?" You ask as you lace your fingers through Ransom's.

He nods gently and shoves his other hand in his jacket pocket after shouldering your bag and carrying it for you. "Yep, she believes that it is what my grandad would have wanted, instead of giving it back to my uncle..." He says and trails off as he sees the uncle he was just speaking about standing in front of the publishing house, with two security guards holding him back, screaming to get in.

"THIS IS MY PUBLISHING HOUSE!" Walt shouts in the security guard's face and Ransom glances at you as you step a little closer to him, not leaving his side for a second.

"Sir, we need you to calm down before we call the police..." The security guard politely says to Walt before he smiles at Ransom. "Afternoon Mr Drysdale..."

At the sound of Ransom's name Walt spins to look at Ransom, his eyes bugging out of his skull at the sight of his nephew who was charged for the death of his father. "You?! How the hell did you get out of prison? Bribe your way out? Escape?" He says walking towards you both, Ransom protectively pushes you behind him so you don't get hurt in the confrontation from his uncle.

"I was released, good behaviour..." Ransom says bluntly, your hand never leaving his and it somehow gives him the strength to stand up to his bully of an uncle.

Walt scoffs and shakes his head. "Good behaviour? You? Wait till Marta hears about you being here..."

"She knows I am here, she's given the company to me..." Ransom says and watches his uncle as he launches himself towards you both. You can't help but gasp but the security guards pull him back. Ransom takes this opportunity to guide you inside the office building, politely acknowledging the receptionist and allowing her to have a break after having to deal with Walt herself, before taking you to his office away from all the commotion.

You look up at Ransom when he closes the door behind you to his office, shutting out the world. "Are you okay?" You ask and cups his cheeks in your hands, looking at him worriedly.

He holds onto your wrists gently, relaxing at your touch and how you are rubbing circles on his cheeks with the pads of your thumbs, releasing a breathe before nodding. "I'm sorry you had to witness that..."

You shake your head and smile at him. "You don't need to apologise for his behaviour, you just need to remember that you are not them..."

Your words touch Ransom more than any so-what loving words ever came from his family and he can't help but pull you in for a hug, one that you reciprocate immediately, taking in the feeling as you hold each other.

Ransom was falling for you fast, but after today, he knew that you would be there to catch him whenever he needed it.

*:·゚✧*:·゚✧