"La Push?"

"La Push?"

"Um... Yeah, Jessica and they invited me to that La Push beach down on the reservation -and I just wanted to know if you wanted to come." As much as I liked Bella and would do nearly anything for her, I and her friends just didn't mix well. Of course, I enjoyed Angela's presence, at certain times. However, the atmosphere between me and them was nothing less than uncomfortable.

"Sorry, Bella. I actually have some homework I wanted to finish today and I would be too tired from the beach to do it after..." This was a lie.

"Oh. No worries, there will always be a next time." She gave me her signature awkward smile before retreating out the front door and hopping into her truck. I stared down at the jumble of papers in front of me before I promptly stood up as the loud roar of her truck slowly muted. I had already finished my homework yesterday and would much rather online shop.

I bit my lip as I sat down at my laptop, scrolling through random branded websites to find anything that might catch my eye. This went on for a good 20 minutes until I sighed into my hands, at times like these I really did miss being back in the city. The number of things I could do on a day like this was endless when I had thousands of places at my disposal.

I leaned back as I looked at my ankle, I had been healing at a faster pace than normal so Dr. Cullen had long since switched out my splint for a cast. It was uncomfortable, to say the least since my flexibility was hindered.

I dragged out a deeper sigh when I felt my phone vibrate in my back pocket, I honestly did not feel like talking to anyone right now.

However, my fingers went under the fabric as I retrieved my phone and answered without looking at the caller.

"Hello?"

"If I had known you would have answered my call like this, I would have thought twice." I jolted at the voice on the other side of the phone.

"Emmett?"

"Who else would have a voice as handsome as mine?" He joked, I rolled my eyes but I couldn't help but silently agreeing.

"What do you want? I'm doing homework."

The phone went silent. For a second I panicked. Did I accidentally give off the wrong tone? Did he change his mind about calling me?

"I wanted to hear your voice." If I hadn't been panicking before, I definitely was now as my voice got lodged in my throat. It wasn't anything new that Emmett was a little flirtatious around me, however, all those small words we exchanged didn't hold nearly as much magnitude as this sentence. I was used to his usual joking manner, where I didn't know if what he said was true or not but I went with it because he smiled expectantly at me. I was used to his laugh and joyous tone he held with nearly every word he said.

But not this.

The low mutter that almost seemed as though I wasn't supposed to hear it. His voice held so many secrets as if he was whispering sweet nothings into my ear only to be my demise later in the night.