Ch. 26

Logan woke up the next morning on the couch.

He didn't recall falling asleep, but then again, who ever did?

Logan softly groaned, the sun nearly blinding him as it shone through the windows. He sat up, rubbing at his eyes.

That was weird. He hadn't woken up in the middle of the night.

"Look who's up!"

Logan turned, spotting Remus sat on top of the coffee table. "Hi, sugarcube. Did you sleep well?"

Logan blinked. "You're...off the couch." He murmured.

Remus softened a bit, nodding. "Yeah, I figured it was about time. Emile wouldn't really like me doing that, would he?" He smiled.

"When did I fall asleep?" Logan asked.

"Hmm, about...two days ago?" Remus tilted his head.

Logan paused, not really processing the words that had come out of Remus' mouth.

"...what?"

"Yeah! You took a real power nap! Good on you!" Remus grinned at him. "Had me a little worried for a sec, though. Thought you had up and died on me."

"Back up--" Logan stammered. "I've been asleep for two days?" Logan echoed, blanching.

"Yeah." Remus nodded. "I tried to wake you, but I physically can't touch you so it was kinda hard. I screamed too. You didn't wake up, though. It was a bit alarming, not gonna lie."

"Fuck." Logan groaned. "I missed work."

"Well, yeah." Remus snorted. "Even if you had woken up, I wouldn't have let you go anyways." He shifted, and the mood instantly dropped.

"I...I would've gone anyways." Logan said. "I need to make money."

"Why?"

"To get things?" Logan shrugged. "But mostly to pay rent."

"I don't really think you need anymore things." Remus murmured.

"Why not?" Logan frowned.

Remus pursed his lips. "Did I tell you about the day my things were packed away?"

---

Remus was curled up in a ball next to his couch.

It had been about a week since he had jumped off the roof. He had not been taking it well.

He didn't think he would end up here. Had he hoped for an afterlife? A bit, yeah.

Maybe that was just his desire to run away. To not have to face his own problems.

He heard voices outside his door, but couldn't bring himself to look up. It was probably the landlord, or maybe a delivery man.

When he heard the familiar jingle of keys, and the sound of his door being unlocked, he looked up.

There stood Roman, Janus, and Patton, the landlord right behind them.

Remus slowly uncurled himself, furrowing his brow in confusion.

"Try and get all this cleared out by today, okay?" The landlord told them, giving Roman a reassuring pat on the shoulder. "The movers will come for the furniture, so don't worry about it."

"Thank you." Patton murmured.

There was no response from Roman, who only stared blankly ahead at the apartment.

He looked tired, like he hadn't slept in awhile.

No response from Janus either, who crossed his arms and looked anywhere but the apartment.