Chapter: 000

Dylan

"Watch where you're going, bitch!" A cabbie yells over to me with a thick New Yorkian accent. I repay his warm gesture with a more than enthusiastic gesture of my own. A stiff middle finger his way earns me several honks and a Starbucks cup thrown at my head.

"Fucking Asshole!"

I cross the street with the phone still between my shoulder and my ear as I fumble with the tie around my neck, ready to whip off the damn thing and just fall into bed already.

"—and I need you to pick up your dress at the store. Dylan? Dylan... Dylan! Are you even listening to me?!"

I cringed and quickly withdrew the phone from my ear to drown out the screeching. "Yes, Mary. I'm listening."

"Oh really? Then what did I say just now?"

Fuck.

"Um... something about the... the wedding?"

I heard her sigh and then mumble something that sounded almost like a prayer. "Dylan, listen to me. I am getting married in three weeks. In said three weeks, a lot of shit has happened. Carla dropped wine on my fucking dress, the Cathedral where our parents got married is being torn down and I have no idea where we're going to house the wedding at the last minute. And on top of that, Maggie ordered Turnips instead of the white roses I wanted. So sorry if I can't take your bullshit right now... But if you don't get that dress on time, Dylan. I am going to reach through this phone and strangle you. Do you understand?"

So stunned by her rabbling I almost jaywalked into a blind man. If it wasn't for my quick reflexes I would've sent him falling into the five o'clock traffic. I mumble a quick apology then press the phone back against my cheek.

"Okay, Fine. I'm sorry. From now on, you've got all my attention."

"Thank you. Now please, the store closes at five and I've asked them to hold onto the dress but they won't for long. So get your ass there pronto."

"Aye, aye Captain," I say saluting the air. People started giving me strange looks so I gave them my award-winning serial killer smile, and they scampered away refusing to look at me. "And don't worry about the other things either, sis. Good things have a way of working themselves out. Before you know it you're married and after two months you have a bouncing baby boy on your hip."

"Children take nine months to cook, dumbass."

"Considering you and Marco fuck like hormonal rabbits, all that child would need is a month and some Gatorade, and he'd be sporting a six-pack and a beard."

Marianna burst out laughing and somewhere in the background I hear her fiance, Marco grunt in amusement.

"Oh, shit, Dyl. I almost forgot," she interjected, "I gotta go. Marco and I have a dance class we can't be late for. I'll talk to you later, okay? Don't forget the dress. Love you, sis."

"Love you," I say and hang up, pocketing my phone.

I stop at a crosswalk and wait patiently for the light to turn red. I was right outside my apartment complex. A tall building with ten stories of wonderful Boston neighbours who would swear at a dog if he tilted his head the wrong way.

The complex didn't only have lovely neighbours but it was walking distance from campus, a major plus for a semi-broke college student without her license and who didn't need any more expenses on top of the food, rent and bills the bartending job I'm currently working at could barely afford me.

The traffic light was taking a century to change so I found myself humming along to a song I couldn't remember the name of while letting my eyes travel the length of the street. My eyebrows furrowed when I noticed just outside the building was a line of 1... 2 ... 3... 4 black escalades.