2

GUM

"So.. Gum-Gum.." Gemma slides her lunch tray across the table and seats herself down opposite me, her best friend Maggie placing herself silently next to her with a ingenuine smile.

"that famous boxer is your dad now.." Gemma grins. "My mum saw this news article saying that your mum came from this really poor area, she had no money and that she lived on the streets and then Brandon-"

"wait what?" Maggie butts in, gaping at the two of us.

Gemma carries on. "Yeah! Her mum grew up like.. poor or something and she had this really abusive ex and she was like.. unbelievably unhappy with the life she had and then she met Brandon and he changed her entire life for the better and gave her loads of money and-"

"My mum never lived on the streets" I cut her off. "My dad was never an abusive ex, yes, Brandon changed her life but she was happy with her life before, he does not give her loads of money, they make their own, Brandon is not my dad.. and for the last time, my name is Delilah" I place my head in my hand, my elbows resting on the table.

"Do you want one?" I hear Maggie whisper.

"What flavour are they?" Gemma replies.

I look up through my fingers, watching Maggie pat her lips a few times before taking out her gum to examine it between her fingers. "Fresh grass" She states.

Gemma stares at her in disgust.

"Vegan" Maggie shrugs, "got them from the weird guy that stands alone in the science room at break"

"You're gonna die.." Gemma frowns

"I'm not"

"You are going to die.."

"They're healthy"

Gemma rolls her eyes, snatching the packet from Maggies hands, "let me try" She says before shoving a piece of gum in her mouth

The both of them turn to me in unison, staring at me intensely. They smacked their gum between their teeth aggressively, toothy grins plastered on the both of their faces.

"What are you doing?" I glance between the both of them in confusion.

"What are we doing?" Gemma chuckles. "Debby, you're on our table."

"We sit here every lunch" Maggie adds before blowing a bubble with her pastel green bubble gum.

"Fine. I'll move." I get up, gathering my things.

"See ya gumball!" I hear Gemma out from behind me. 

Gumball. Gum. Gummy. Gum-gum. Thats me.