Game Night: The Key of Cyhydnos (Gen)

A/N: Man, I'm so excited to finally post my extended fic for the Kingdoms and Keyblades Kingdom Hearts and DnD crossover zine! I finished writing this back in August 2020, and I've been sitting on it since. It was my first experience as a fan magazine contributor and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
I wrote a lot originally, so if you've already recieved your copy of this zine and read my piece this is like...extra content?
Anyways, this fic is labeled "gen" for "general", meaning romance ships aren't the main focus. KnK is the kh universe equivalent of DnD. Repliku is called by "Ri". This fic is set in canonverse, but post canon. Finally, there is background Soriku, Vanpliku/Replivani, and Kailette.
Hope you guys enjoy this big boy!

♡♡♡♡♡♡

The tone from the doorbell resounds through the house, prompting Riku to jump from his chair at the folding card table out of instinct as Kairi merely yawns, resting her chin in the palm of her propped up elbow.

“I got it!” Sora’s mom announces, and Riku sinks back into the chair.

“...So…” Kairi sits up straighter, letting her arm rest back down on the table. “Do you have your character sheet stuff?”

Riku’s eyes shift to the stack of papers in front of him, and he begins to rifle through them just in case. Once he’s finished, he neatens out the stack and looks back to Kairi. “Yeah. Mine and Sora’s.” He places his hand atop the stack of papers on the table to his right as he says Sora’s name.

Kairi nods as she breathes, annoyed, “At least someone is on time…”

Riku reaches behind himself to draw a palm-sized draw-string bag out of the pocket of his jacket that’s draped over the back of his chair. He carefully lowers it to the table and uses both hands to slowly pull it open before taking the bottom of the bag to empty it of its contents.

Riku’s simple dice, transparent but swirled with blue, slide onto the table as Ri--formerly Riku replica--and Vanitas finally come into view on the staircase and Kairi sighs, checking the time on her gummiphone.

Vanitas has his arms crossed and a frown upon his face as he almost stomps down the stairs while Ri, cheap gray backpack in his right hand, makes nary a sound on the stairs as he whispers into his ear, “Don’t ruin this by staying all grumpy, Vani. You could have fun.”

“I know, Ri,” he growls back.

“Do it for me, okay?” Ri smiles at him, reaching his left hand around to place on Vani’s left shoulder, and Vanitas relaxes a little at the touch.

“Twelve minutes late,” Kairi mutters to herself, placing a hand on her binder of session notes and shifting it to her copy of the Kingdoms and Keyblades kingdom master’s guide on the table. She then reaches into the bag beside her chair, tallying the tokens and maps she brought for the game. Once she’s sure she has everything, she begins fiddling with her twenty-sided die.

“Where’s Sora?” Ri wonders aloud as Vanitas plops down into the seat to the left of Kairi and crosses his legs.

“Yeah, Twinkle Toes, where is that ray of sunshine?” Vanitas drawls, impatience in his voice, as he rolls his eyes. “Isn’t this his house?”

Kairi nods, groaning in annoyance before changing the subject with a yawn, “So… Have everything?”

Ri sinks down farther into his chair to reach the backpack he dropped in between his and Vanitas’s chairs. He unzips a smaller pocket first, pulling out a plastic sandwich bag, holding both of their dice, and a folded stack of papers--Vanitas’s character sheets--and holds them up.