The Secret of the Burned Tower

All Pokémon that lived in and around Ecruteak City knew about the Burned Tower and the five legendary Pokémon connected to it. There were lots of stories about it. Some where legends about the five legendary Pokémon and some were ghost stories that the older pre-evolutions loved to tell the younger ones to scare them. Their parents were always telling them to stay away from the Burned Tower and, if they wanted to play in a tower, they should go to the Tin Tower. But that didn't stop the younger ones from telling stories and some were so elaborate and intertwined with legends that it was hard to tell fact from fiction.

🔴🔴🔴

"You know what's in the Burned Tower, don't you?" a Quilava said.

The little Pokémon shook their heads.

"The ghosts of the Pokémon that were trapped inside when it was struck by lighting and caught fire."

"Scorch!" came a voice and he turned to see a Typhlosion, his mother. "Stop trying to scare your sister and her friends."

The little Cyndaquil looked at the Typhlosion.

"It's okay, Mommy," she said. "We know that there's no such thing as ghosts; only Ghost-Type Pokémon."

"Be that as it may, your brother still shouldn't try to scare you. Now go play with your friends."

"Yes, Mommy."

The Cyndaquil and her friends hurried off. The Typhlosion turned to Scorch, fixing him with a gaze that had intimidated many opponents in battle.

"Be back home before dark. With your sister," she said.

"Yes, Mom," Scorch said.

🔴🔴🔴

The Typhlosion, blind in one eye and scared from many battles, looked up as his children entered.

"Your mother told me you were causing trouble," he said to Scorch.

"I was just telling Cinder a story, Dad," Scorch said.

"About the Burned Tower?"

Scorch looked away.

"Do you even know the story of the tower?"

Scorch and Cinder shook their heads.

"Tell them, Torch," his mate said. "It may teach Scorch to respect the place and not try to scare Cinder with stories."

"Before it burned down and the Tin Tower was built, it was a sacred place in town," Torch said. "Trainers and Pokémon would come from all over to see it and it was rumored to be home to the legendary Pokémon of Jhoto."

"Entei, Raikou, and Suicune," Cinder said excitedly.

"And Ho-oh," Torch said. "And sometimes Lugia."

Scorch snorted. He'd heard stories of Entei, Raikou, Suicune, Ho-oh, and Lugia since he'd been a Cyndaquil as well as Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres from Kanto; Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza from Hoenn; Unie, Mesprit, Azelf, Dialga, and Palkia from Sinnoh; and Reshiram and Zekrom from Unova but, because no one had seen them in generations, he didn't believe that they existed. He was too old to believe in fairytails. Torch ignored his son and continued.

"Everyone who came to the tower showed it and the legendary Pokémon that lived there respect. Then, one day, lighting struck the tower and, because it was made of wood, it burned to the ground. Some say that the spirits of the trainers and Pokémon trapped in the tower when it burned are still there."

"That's why Morty uses Ghost-Type Pokémon, right Daddy?" Cinder said.

"That's right, princess."

"What happened to the legendary Pokémon?"