Chapter Eight

Breakfast the next morning is incredibly awkward. I take my usual place next to Hannah, who's silent. Either it's my imagination or Scarlett and her gang have moved down a chair, towards me. Everyone on the opposite table is chatting quietly before the royals arrive, but the side I'm sitting on is deadly silent. Between me, Hannah, and the "Populars," as I've come to call them, there's horrible tension that I'm afraid I've caused. 

Finally, Hannah speaks. Her voice is a whisper, strained and tight. "We need to talk. After breakfast. Meet me outside the women's room. Not inside. Outside."

"Okay," I murmur back, my heart racing. Either she's going to tell me that she doesn't want to be my friend anymore, or that everything is okay between us. I'm desperately hoping for the second option. After mouthing off to Scarlett's group, they would never take me in. And I'm not familiar with any of the other girls- could I become friends with any of them?

Twenty-seven girls left. And I could end up being utterly alone until I end up leaving.

After what seems like an hour, the royal family finally enters. We all stand, and Prince Dawson, leading his family in, gestures for us to sit. I adjust my lavender-purple dress and sit back down. 

"Hello, ladies!" he calls, and takes his seat near the end of the table, on the opposite side from me. We make eye contact and I smile innocently, and he smiles back. I quickly move my eyes down to the table in front of me.

Puzzled, I play with my hands. Why haven't I been sent home yet? Surely Scarlett, being the brat that she is, told Prince Dawson that I hit her. It's against the rules of the Selection, isn't it?

Pulling me out of my thoughts, Prince Felix sits down next to his brother, saying, "Hey, y'all," and ripping a bread roll apart with his teeth.

"Felix!" Princess Jessamyn hisses, barely containing her laugh and taking her seat next to him.

 "Felix, that is no way to behave as a prince. You should be ashamed of yourself." The Queen's bitter tone scares me a bit, I will admit.

 Some of the girls stifle a laugh as Felix replies, "I'm very sorry, Mother. But maybe you should be a little more laid back. You're stressing the girls out." He gestures at all of us, and I look at the queen, anxious of what she'll say.

"They should feel uncomfortable. It's natural to be nervous in the presence of a queen." She adjusts her position in her chair. "Now Felix, please. Be polite."

"Fine," Felix says, rolling his eyes and sitting up straighter. I can't help a smile. Prince Dawson and I make eye contact again, and I cover my mouth to contain the laughter I'm holding back.

Breakfast carries on, during which Prince Dawson informs us that princess training will be starting when there are less of us here at the palace. And also that dates will in fact be going on from this point on.

"Don't be worried if you don't have a date with me for the first couple days. I probably won't get around to many people," he says, looking down.

The queen clears her throat. "And never ask Prince Dawson on a date. That is one of the rudest things you can do here at the palace and you'll be sent home immediately."

"Mother-"

"I'm just watching out for your safety, darling." Her words are meant to be comforting but the dull, bitter tone of her voice takes away all the meaning. Prince Dawson takes a deep breath and smiles.

"Today is a Wednesday. I think you'll be happy to know that every Friday, the Report will air and you all will be featured in it. Well, most Fridays. Some weeks you get some time off," he says. "There's nothing to prepare for, really. Brent, our reporter, will ask you a few questions about your time here."