Chapter Nine

"Hey, Emmi." 

I look up to find Max leaning over me, grinning. The rich black hair that I haven't felt  in so long; the deep blue eyes that I've gotten lost in so many times.

"What?" I ask, sitting up, looking intently at him.

"It's time to wake up," he replies.

His face starts to fade away until all that remains of him is his body. "Max?" I whisper, gaping at his headless body. Soon, another image slides into its place. 

"Prince Dawson?" I mutter, narrowing my eyes. Sure enough, Max's head is gone, and in its place is Prince Dawson's flawless smile, dark green eyes, dark brown hair.

"Emmi, you left me," he says, but the words aren't Dawson's. It's Max's voice, coming out of Dawson's mouth.

"Max, I'm sorry! Max... please don't leave me... not again..." I try to reach out to him, but his image is fading away. Tears start to slip down my cheeks as I beg for him to stay. The last thing I see before he's gone entirely is his arm, reaching for me, but never close enough.

"Max!" I scream. The scream is blended by my shriek as I become fully conscious again. I don't stop screaming until someone is by my side, rubbing my back.

"Miss Emerson, you're safe. You're okay, you're with us. It's me, Blythe. Kaya. Felicity," a soothing voice murmurs. I turn my head to face the source of the sound and see Blythe, smiling gently and whispering to me.

"It was- I saw-" I start, unable to finish my statement as I realize it was all in my head. I fold myself in half, embarrassed and angered. I lie my head in my hands as the tears flow freely.

"Miss," Felicity says as she sits on the edge of the bed carefully. "You kept on saying the name Max in your sleep. And there was also a Prince Dawson in there. Are you all right?"

"Yeah," I say, wiping my eyes. "I'm okay."

"Who is he?" Kaya asks cautiously. Blythe glares at her but I answer her.

"He was my first love," I say slowly. "My only love."

"What happened to him?" Blythe asks, curious now herself.

"He-" My voice cracks. "He died. A while ago, but it still hurts like hell." Knowing that more questions will follow, I continue. "He was a Six with me. We were stealing one day, which we had been doing for months- remember, I'm not an honorable person- and that day we were caught. Well, he was caught. And beaten to death outside the store. I never stole again... or loved again."

Awkward silence fills the room. I sniff, looking down at my hands.

"What made you dream about him last night?" Felicity asks.

"It must've been the way Prince Dawson looked at me. Max used to look at me like that..." I swallow hard, running a hand through my hair. "It's nothing."

"What do you mean it's nothing?" Felicity exclaims, jumping in the air. "The prince looked at you how your first love looked at you! That means-"

"No," I say firmly. "It was a quizzical look, like they didn't understand something. Like they wanted to figure something out. It's just because Prince Dawson has no clue as to who the hell I am."

"I'm sorry, Miss," Felicity says quietly, backing away from me.

"No, I'm sorry. I just- I need to take a shower." I run into the bathroom, turn on the water, and attempt to drown out my worries.

-

I walk down the hall with my head down, arms plastered to my side. Maybe the women's room will help me relax. At breakfast, three girls were gone. Eliminated, I suppose. Only twenty-four girls left. And to my surprise, I still wasn't one of them. Either Scarlett never ratted me out for hitting her or Prince Dawson just decided not to send me home. I don't know which one I'd rather it be.