Chapter Three - The Executioner and The Coward

Welcome back lovelies 😈
Ready for trauma?!
I know I am!
Also I'm really insecure about the length of my chapter! Does everyone think there too short because I'm trying to write longer ones but I feel like there's already so much plot stuffed into each chapter! If anyone has any tips or any thoughts at all just dm me or comment ur opinions
Alright time to tie some loose ends from the last chapter shall we.

TW:
Gun Violence
Mentions of suicide
Violent Homophobia
Slurs
Rape (graphic and violent ill put a star when it's gonna happen so you can skip if you'd like)

And that's when I hear the gunshots ring.

I barely notice at first thinking it was the slam of some metal door or someone falling on the dance floor. But I knew that I was wrong when Alex pulled away and stared at the door.

Without time to be in shock, she grabbed the sleeve of my shirt pulling me down to the floor. In the chaos of people trying to leave and flee the scene to no avail, Alex dragged me to sit with her behind the bar under the ledge safer from stray fire.

This could not be happening. Not right now. I had just got back from a case this morning or I guess yesterday morning only to find out I have to take another high adrenaline case only to be caught in a mass shooting I guess!

There was a series of rapid-fire I heard. Dust began to fall from the ceiling across the room from us and I had realized the gunman was trying to get our attention. This wasn't typical of a mass shooting, usually, the shooter would fire carelessly until nearly out of ammunition and then flee the scene or kill themselves as well.

One of the first things I studied in my criminal psychology major was the columbine shooting. Classic and textbook representation of a standard mass shooting. This was turning out to be less than standard and less than vengeful. This was hate-fueled; these men weren't planning to leave until they've made an example of us and our lifestyles. This became clear to me within the first half-hour.

Once the shots into the ceiling ceased the club went nearly silent. The only sounds heard were soft whimpers and scattered and soft wails. But really for me, I could only hear my own breathing and all I could feel was my heart pound. It was beating so hard I swore it was breaking through my ribs causing my whole body to tense up. Grounding myself and assessing my senses a faint ringing in my ear became prominent and so did the feeling of Alex's nail still digging into my wrist as she started to let go.

"LISTEN UP FAGGOTS" one man began to yell to get everyone's attention, "You have willfully denied God's laws and the laws of humanity! You are all sinners tainting the sanctity of American values! Since our government is too weak to end this disease that has plagued America we have decided to start our crusade here and now in the heart of our country.  We will no longer leave you perverts and predators to rape and turn our children into the monster you are!"

I immediately grab Alex's hand and squeeze to keep me from crying and give away our temporary safe zone. I don't even belong here I'm not even gay! This is insane and extremely unlucky.

"We're sure that the police are on their way to protect you all but don't get too excited because we have more of our people already here to make sure no one gets out. And no one gets in. Anyone caught trying to escape will be executed. Anyone trying to help the injured will be executed. And every 20 minutes that we aren't in contact with the president one of you will be executed." At the end of his tirade, we heard loud stomping to the middle of the room and onto the dance floor. I could really see from where I was sitting but from what I heard I believe the big men dragged anybody unconscious or... dead, out of the center of the floor and kept vigilant with their back faced to me looking at all the people who were just 5 minutes ago dancing.