Chapter 10: Borobudur Temple

"What are we doing here?" Hazel asked in perplexity. "I thought we were looking for the Indian gods..."

Looming infront of her was a gigantic pyramidal structure, consisting of three tiers, bathing in the late evening glow of the sun. A look at the monument was enough for Hazel's breadth to knock out of her lungs. It was one of the most beautiful structures she had ever seen - including the Athena Parthenos.

It would be around thirty-five metre in height, and covered around four-thousand metre square in area, Hazel guessed, and had a fight of steps leading to the top of the structure.

"That's the Borobudur Temple." Apollo was saying to the rest of the crew - Nico, Will, Piper, Leo, Frank and Lavinia - in a dreamy voice. "One of the finest Buddhist architectural monuments ever made. Gunadharma, I knew him... He was the architect."

"That's okay," Lavinia interrupted, "But I don't see how this is connected to the Indian Gods. It's Buddhist."

"Oh India was a - is a land of many cultures." Apollo said. "You can see a blend of many religions and customs of the world there. There was a time when there was a Greek influence to there heritage too. I remember Indra and I flying over the Mauryan Empire- "

"Dad" Will said his tone of a doctor whose patient was not following his orders. "We need to get to the Indian base camp as soon as we could. Your 'flying over Mauryan Empire' stories could wait."

This was true. Hazel and her small group of friends were required to find the Indian base, somehow convince them that they were on friendly terms and ask for their help to find Adequis - Mazalloch's life force, and destroy it before any of Mazalloch's minions could find it.

"Yes, sorry", Apollo said. He was in his Lester form, as he would always do when he would come to visit them at Camp. "The intrance to their base is at the top of this temple. Somewhere up there is a portal. I don't know for sure where it is, but it's there."

All the demigods nodded.

"Thanks Apollo," said Piper. "We really appreciate it. But I suppose you cannot help us any further?"

The God had helped them is as many ways as he could. He had brought them to Indonesia that morning on his sun chariot and helped them locate the temple. But he had said, that being a god, there was a limit upto which he could help them. It was against the ancient laws, as he had said.

Apollo shook his head sadly. "I'm sorry guys, but from here you're on your own."

Hazel nodded, understanding. "So let's start the climb."

"Yes," Apollo said suddenly quite apprehensive. He glanced around as if to see if they were being followed. "I must go unless -"

But whatever he had intended to say, was cut off when they heard a loud banging noise - as if an explosion - a few feet infront of them. All of them whipped their heads towards the monument.

The base of the stairs was covered in thick black smoke.

"Wha-" Frank started but dropped his voice when the fog cleared and two figures immerged.

One of them had blonde hair and a Roman nose. He was wearing a black T-shirt with the letters 'Coffee is my first love' written across the front and a pair of blue jeans.

The other was black haired and wore a plain white shirt over a pair of cameo pants.

The bloned one smirked at their group as they walked closer. "Nice to see you Apollo after such a long time" He said. "Didn't knew you had the nerve to present yourself after all which has happened between us."

Hazel knitted her eyebrows. "What does that mean?" She demanded when she saw Apollo growing uncomfortable. "Do not talk to our friend like that." She put a hand on Apollo's shoulder in an attempt to comfort him.

The black haired guy raised an amused eyebrow at her. "Who is she Apollo?" He asked without his gaze leaving her. "Another chap you're deciding to cheat on?"

Huh?! Hazel was dumbfounded. But before she could speak, Will's voice came up.

"Look, whatever happened between you guys and my dad is in the past, he has changed, he isn't what once you remembered him as." He said.

"Apollo, you should go." Nico said glaring daggers at the two men. "We'll handle these guys."

Apollo made a sound of protest but a look from Piper made him erupt into smoke leaving Hazel's hand clutched around nothing.

The two men laughed just as Apollo departed.

"Coward." Said the blonde.

"Yea I know." Replied the other.

Hazel gritted her teeth. How could they?!

"Who are you both?" She asked unsheathing her Spartha. The imperial gold blade glowed in late afternoon night.

"Easy girl." Said the black haired man. "I'm Jaya and he- " he jerked his thumb at the blonde guy " - is Vijaya. We were the gatekeepers to Vishnu once but because of that friend of yours, we're now guarding the gates to the Indian Base - Indraprastha - as it is named."

For a moment Hazel didn't understand what they meant by friend but then she realised they were talking of Apollo. She wondered what had happened but quickly set the thought aside. That could wait. They had more pressing matters at the moment.

"We don't care of that," she said and sheathed her sword again. "We come in peace and wish to speak to the Indian demigods. We have a war looming infront of us. And we need all the help we can get."

"Mazalloch." Jaya said distastefully. "We know. But I'm afraid we cannot let you in. We have our duty to follow. Go further no more or else the outcome won't be good."

"We are going in. Wether you like it or not." Lavinia said as all around Hazel, her friends took out their weapons.

"Very well then," said Vijaya in a bored voice. "Another set of mortals to kill. Let's get this over with."

"Right. Hazel said through gritted teeth. "Get this over with." And  with that, she and her friends charged at the two men.

________________________________

Hello guys. Sorry I went away right after saying that I'll update weekly. But I had my finals and a couple of things at my house which kept me busy. I also needed to search for a place to locate the Indian Base. Borobudur Temple is a really magnificent temple in Indonesia. But even so, I have never visited it and whatever description I have given here is based on what I found on the internet. Also, I'm not that familiar with Indian mythology. It was only after reading the Aru Shah series that I have garnered newfound interest in it. If I'll get anything wrong, please feel free to correct me.
I'll be busy for the next week even so I reckon I'll be able to update soon.
Hope you liked this chapter even though it was written in a hurry cause I didn't want to keep you guys hanging.
Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments I'm always glad for them :)
And lastly, a big thanks to all who have read voted and commented on this story. I really love you guys.
See you soon. Bye!