1986 - momma please

1986

Whitney sighed as she sat up in her bed. She leaned over checking her alarm clock seeing it was 11 in the afternoon. She dragged herself out of bed and yawned as she stretched. She looked at Janet who had been sleeping to her and she was still deep into her slumber. Whitney sighed as she stood over her and caressed her face, careful not to wake her. She wondered how she didn't notice Janet was having a rough time.

But, then again when did she ever let her true emotions show unless that was the intention. She shook her head if there was one thing Janet was gonna do, it was thug shit out to the max. She sighed as she grabbed her a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt to wear for the day and she went to the bathroom to start her usual morning routine. Brushing her teeth, following with a quick shower. She quickly dressed in the bathroom and hurried to the kitchen to clean the mess she and Janet left yesterday.

Whitney grabbed their wine glasses from the living room. She set the glasses in the sink and rid the table of the plates they used then quickly wiped it down. And then she began the dishes. She mumbled to herself how when she moved in her house she'd hire a house keeper. Once the dishes were finished she set them in the dish rack to dry. She then moved the the living room to clean their small mess in there. She threw out the empty candy wrappers and put the bottle of wine they were drinking out of back in her kitchen.

She picked up her phone and dialed the number to one of her favorite lunch spots to order from. She sighed as she sat down on her couch to wait.

"Whitney?" Janet called as she stepped out of Whitney's room, she was dressed in a silk pearl colored night gown. A size too small it hugged her body snuggly. No bra underneath allowed her nipples to make a slight appearance. Not her usual night attire but she at least hoped Whitney would compliment her selection. And to her dismay she hadn't.

"I'm in the living room!"

"Oh," Janet walked into the living room and rested her head on Whitney's lap.

"Did you sleep okay last night?" Whitney asked as she ran her fingers through her hair.

She nodded, "Yeah, I slept fine."

"That's good, I ordered us lunch. It should be here in a bit," Whitney informed her.

"Oh, thank you. I'm hungry as hell."

Whitney gaped, "After all I cooked last night? Girl are you pregnant what the hell."

"I— are you calling me fat?"

"Girl please," Whitney giggled as she rolled her eyes.

Knock, knock, knock.

"Oh, that must be the food... that was quick," Whitney said. Janet quickly raised her head from her lap allowing Whitney to get the door.

"I'm coming!" She called as she arose from the couch and headed towards her front door.

Whitney's smiled dropped as she opened her door to be met face to face with the likes of her mother.

"I— Mother! What are you doing here?!" Whitney stuttered.

The prissy woman rolled her eyes before letting herself into her daughter's apartment.

"Nippy! And who is this?" Her mother asked ghastly, as if she was heavily surprised by Janet's presence on her daughters couch.

"Momma oh please, you know who that is. That's Janet! Janet Jackson." Whitney shook her head at her mother's dramatic antics.

"Hi Mrs... Houston, I assume. As Whitney told you I'm Janet. I'm her friend." Janet stood and smiled extending her hand out to Cissy.

Cissy glanced at Janet and waved her off. "Yeah alright."

Whitney gaped, "Momma! Why are you so mean? She hasn't done anything to you."

Cissy rolled her eyes, "Miss Jackson could you please excuse us? I have to speak to my daughter privately for a moment."

"Yeah... no problem." Janet walked off into Whitney bedroom shutting the door behind her.

"Mom... I don't know why you're here but I'd appreciate it if you left. Please."

Cissy scoffed, "You weren't returning my calls. It's a shame you don't know how to answer the damn phone for your own mother."

"You're surprised I don't call you back?! Look at you right now! Disturbing me while I have company. And then you have the nerve to disrespect her! Sometimes you're just too much," Whitney shook her head as she folded her arms.

"Speaking of that girl Nippy please... if you were gonna sleep your way to the top you should've at least went for Michael."

Whitney bit her lip as she felt herself getting overwhelmed. This wasn't the first time she and her mother had argued and Cissy had crossed the line, purging her daughter with the cruelness of her tongue.

"Alright, now I'm gonna have to ask you to leave. I'll call you later. I love you momma but, I can't take this right now."

"You're asking me to leave?! Fine. But, I better hear from you."

Whitney sighed as she let her mother out of her home and closed the door behind her. She rubbed her forehead in dismay.

"Your mother is something," Janet sighed as she came out of Whitney's bedroom.

"I'm sorry about the comment she made. She only said that because of the nightgown. I guess she assumed we have something going on."

"Oh... is— is it too much?" Janet asked as her voice lowered.

"No! No— no it's fine. I mean, I really like it. It's cute on you... really... nice," Whitney sighed as she fought the urge to stare at Janet's body.

Janet gushed as she smiled, "Thank you."