002. refund for my life, i beg

‿︵‿︵ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ・* 🗝 *・ ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿︵‿︵

ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ* 🗝 * ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿

LANA had complained the whole taxi drive to their apartment building, but Percy only gripped her hand, the vision replaying in his mind. He had witnessed someone die.

MERCY!

The mere scream of the name rang in his ears, and he forced himself to think it was just some weird vision. It wasn't real. It was just a vision he had for some reason.

MERCY!

He shut his eyes tightly. Not real, not real, not real. It wasn't real.

He started panicking. What if it was real? What if he had just let that happen and now the girl was gone? What did it have to do with him in the first place? Why-

"Percy?" his best friend gripped his hand. "You're hyperventilating. What's wrong?"

The poor boy looked confused for a moment before he finally realized his breathing had been static and finally calmed himself down.

"Nothing. We just really need to get the hell out of here." he murmured, making Lana roll her eyes at him.

"We left Grover, Percy!"

He ignored her.

Context time: Percy had left Grover, dragging Lana with him in his bullshit.

He knows it was rude. But Grover was freaking him out, looking at him like he was a dead man, muttering "Why does this always happen?" and "Why does it always have to he sixth grade?"

Whenever he got upset, Grover's bladder acted up, so neither were surprised when, as soon as they got off the bus, he made them promise to wait for him, then made a beeline for the restroom. Instead of waiting, Percy got his suitcase, slipped outside with Lana trying to drag him back, and caught the first taxi uptown with his best friend still following.

"East One-hundred-and-fourth and First," he had told the driver.

A word about his mother, before you meet her.

Her name is Sally Jackson and she's the best person in the world, equal to Lana, which just proves his theory that the best people have the most rotten luck. Her own parents died in a plane crash when she was five, and she was raised by an uncle who didn't care much about her.

She wanted to be a novelist, so she spent high school working to save enough money for a college with a good creativewriting program. Then her uncle got cancer, and she had to quit school her senior year to take care of him. After he died, she was left with no money, no family, and no diploma. The only good break she ever got was meeting Percy's father, and even that had a lot of drama.