001

"so, you up for a drink, princess?"

SEATTLE, WA
march 21st, 1989

-

"Hey, baby. Scotch on the rocks with a little bit of ginger." A man, maybe 40 years old. Or older took a seat at the bar staring straight into my eyes. He looked like the kind of guy who'd I have dealt with before. Some old lonely guy who's looking to sleep with a younger girl, but yet I don't get what makes him think I'd ever even think about going near him. I've dealt with this kind of shit before, I'm not new at it. Nobody gets to me if I don't want them to. And, I mean it.

"M'kay." I replied with before shoving him a glass of scotch. No ice, and of course no ginger. He gave me this look of annoyance, and confusion and his hands danced across the table humorously. A smirk was forming at his lips and damn I knew that smirk all to well.

"That's not what I ordered, honey." He lowly said sending shivers down my spine. Sure, I was nervous but not nervous enough to give into whatever spell he was trying to put on me. I know all about these guys. They haven't got any power over you. The man slowly reached his hand out trying to push some of my hair out of my face. Quickly, I grabbed his hand and smacked it down.

"First off, I'm not your honey. Second off, don't you ever try and touch me again. I deal with people like you all night and if you think your little plans gonna work try another bar, you fuckin' asshole!" I yelled at him before throwing the scotch on him. Nobody seemed to say anything but the place quieted down quite a bit. I didn't care if I could potentially loose my job, nobody touches me.

"You looked like a bitch, anyways!" The man yelled as he made his way out the door. I rolled my eyes at the usual comment they make and cleaned up the spilled scotch on the counter. My heart was beating harshly, but I was proud of myself for fighting off yet another guy. I sighed and rested my head in my hands for a quick second obviously wanted to go home already.

"Wow, you've really got a temper there, huh?" A voice spoke in front of me. My head perked up at the words but this time it was a boy who looked my own age. That gave me some relief at least. But, temper? I didn't have a temper!

"Temper? I don't got a temper, man. Look if you were in my situation would you want to have a guy twice your age hitting on you?" I shouted to him making sure my New York accent was thick and noticeable.

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry. I guess I wouldn't, your right." He said putting his hands up in defense. I cleared my throat and looked to my feet a little regretful of shouting at him so harshly. He probably didn't mean for it to come off that way.

"Look I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell like that. It's just....I've had a hard night is all." I said to him with a softer voice this time. The boy smiled with shrugged before taking a seat in front of me. His eyes seemed soft, and kind. He looked like a real nice guy. First nice guy I've had talk to me tonight.

"Don't apologize. I get it, you from Boston or something?" He asked referring to my quite annoying accent. I grinned and shook my head actually feeling acknowledged tonight.

"I was born in New York but raised in Springfield, actually. Where you from?" I asked resting my elbows on the counter, "Virginia. Exciting, huh?" He asked with a small chuckle. I shrugged and threw the towel over my shoulder.

"Very, exciting. Whatcha doing over here?" I kept the conversation going. He sighed and looked to the clock on the wall. It was almost past midnight, "well, I'm actually auditioning for a band tomorrow. Probably should be sleeping but you only live once, right?"

"Wow. Really? What do you play?" I asked obviously intrigued. I poured myself a glass of water quickly before he ever got a chance to answer.

"Drums. I'm not all the good, though." He said waving off the idea of talking about it. Of course he doesn't like talking about himself, how could he get any more perfect.

"I bet you play awesome. What's your name?" I asked finally pushing myself into the conversation more, "Dave. What's yours?" He asked with his soft, calm voice.

"Dani." I said with a generous grin. It mirrored onto his face immediately and soon we were both smiling like idiots. I felt this feeling that was new to me. I didn't really know how to describe it just yet honestly.

"When do you get off?" He asked looking to the clock which read 12:16. I smiled and bit my lip feeling some relief, "right about now actually." I answered with a laugh.

"So, you up for a drink, princess?"