Chapter 22

Blue trudged the same route down the middle of the street towards the store. Springtime brought a sense of life and happiness back to Hatfeld. There was still a chill in the air and people were dressed in light jackets and sweaters, but they were all so relieved that warm weather was on the horizon.

She smiled and waved at the townies toiling away in their yards and they eagerly returned the favor. Everyone's routine quickly got back to normal as soon as the snow melted and warmer temperatures crept across the country. People flocked outdoors to get chores done. Yards had been cleaned up and houses underwent repairs.

Frank insisted they go to town and visit with their friends. The car had run low on gas, but the weather had warmed enough to be comfortable with just a light jacket so they could walk. The sun shone brightly in the cloudless sky and he demanded they be outside to enjoy it. They passed the usual shops, smiling at the townies in the windows and walking along the street. Frank waved to the men patching the roof of a house and winked at the ladies gabbing about their lives on the front porch. His mind was with the community while Blue had only one thought resting in her brain.

The snow had melted.

Three excruciatingly long months went by. More snowfall added to that first blizzard, making travel more difficult and winter seemed to never end. It took weeks for the warm rays of the sun to melt through the snow until tips of grass poked through and her counting came to an end. The auction would be back, any day now. Her small start was right around the corner.

Frank brought her to the corner shop of Enticing and glanced through the window. He caught movement inside, a simple wave of a hand that told him to wait. He nodded, then forced Blue to stop walking and take in the fresh air.

"It is such a beautiful day today. I've always enjoyed springtime." He stated, glancing to the sky.

Blue nodded, "I'm more of an autumn type girl. Winter is my real favorite though. Something about how the ice crystalizes everything is mesmerizing."

"You are a strange creature, kid. Not many people like the winter."

"Not many people can go outside when it's below freezing and not feel a thing. I'm just special." She grinned.

"You're something alright."

He turned away from her, checking through the window of the shop one more time. They still waved him off and he had to keep the girl waiting.

The ground began to rumble and the sound of engines steadily crept through town. Buses roared down the main street and Frank grabbed her arm and dragged her to the side of the road to avoid being run over. They cleared the way just in time for two black buses to speed past them, turning at the next corner for the auditorium. The auctions were back early.

Blue froze tensely and glared at the vehicles. The scent of fear and sweat radiated off both machines. The slaves' quiet sobbing slipped through the blackened windows, stabbing her heart with an aching precision. She clenched her hands to fists and walked back to the middle of the street. The monster slithered up her spine, entangling itself in the mess of angry emotions fluttering in her mind. It knew what hid behind those darkened windows and felt their demanding need to be freed. A feeling Blue knew a little too personally.

"Blue," Frank's voice interrupted the boiling rage and she felt a gentle tug on her arm, "let's get inside. I have something to discuss with Jess about the shop."

He rushed to the center of the road and tugged a little harder on Blue, gradually stealing her eyes away from the buses. Blue ignored the burning sensation on the back of her neck that told her to chase after them and stop the slaves from being sold. It gave her a headache to turn away from dozens of people needing help. Her eyes twitched and she clenched her jaw trying to fight the unnerving pain away. Frank dragged her to the store, putting more distance between her and the madness of the auction house.