Memories of Us

A raven haired boy no older than five was being led through a long hallway. The lights flickered above and the floor below creaked, but the boy remained silent. He felt lost and scared by his parents' side as his father dragged him towards the room near the end of the hall. "Be good," the older man said before shoving the frightened child inside and closing the door.

The little boy felt rough hands grab him, pushing and pulling him to who knows where? The tight grip of the hands were sure to leave bruises that would last a while. All he wanted was for them to let go. He tried struggling against the hands, but it only made their tight hold on him worse. He could not see, the room was pitch black which only furthered his growing fears. His father would surely not leave him, right? Perhaps his father might have been harsh, but he was not completely cruel as to abandon his son, right? Right?

As if the hands had finally listened to the young raven's prayers, the grip they had on the boy loosened. At some point the hands completely disappeared, only to return moments later in which it took the opportunity to shove the boy. Said boy then proceeded to fall face forward into something wooden. A soft click was heard after that, but nothing more.

The child attempted to stand up only to hit his head on something hard. He started to feel around him, feeling nothing but wood and empty space. He was alone, he realized. Or that was what he thought.

Suddenly another hand touched him. It was bigger than his own, however smaller than the previous ones. The raven child went to scream and break the silence until the hand covered his mouth. "Shh," a voice whispered, "they don't like it when you're loud."

"Who are you?" The boy asked.

"Suna Rintarou," the other replied, "and you?"

"Kageyama Tobio," was his short reply.

"Well Kageyama-kun," said the voice, "there is no need to worry. No one will hurt you. This is just how they move us. It's easier for them. It also costs less money. A bit uncomfortable, but they'll let us out soon."

Tobio stayed silent for a few moments then voiced the one word he could formulate, "who?"

Although Tobio could not see it, Rintarou smiled. "The circus of course! Now that you're here I won't be alone! I'll have a friend like all those other kids and- and-," he stopped for a second to calm himself down as to not over excite himself and raise his voice, "we could be best buddies and do all those circus things together!" Rintarou grabbed Tobio's hand and intertwined their fingers, "be my friend please?"

A small smile slipped onto Tobio's face, he had never had a friend before, his mother would not let him leave the house. "Okay."

~

"Suna-san," a boy said as he sat on a stool getting his makeup done by the other.

"Yes, Kageyama-kun?" Suna replied.

"Well..." Tobio's fingers started to fidget, "are you not nervous?... This is our first real performance with an audience! What if we mess up? What if I mess up?"The younger child was concerned. This was their debut, they couldn't mess it up. If they messed up they'd be a laughing stock and mocked out of the circus! If they didn't have the circus, then where would they go? There was no place outside of the circus for a circus freak.

Rintarou laughed at Tobio's antics while he clipped the smaller boy's hair back. "No," he stated plainly, "I've got you here and we've done this plenty of time before. It's just like practice right?" The brunette boy gazed into blueberry eyes, the corner of his lips turning up.

Tobio gazed right back. "You'll catch me Suna-san, right?"

The elder's eyes softened at those words, "always," he promised. He then held out a hand to help Tobio off of the stool. "Call me Rintarou?"