The Palace

Useless fun fact: This is the first time in my one and a half years of Wattpad writing that I have ever uploaded on a weekday.

3rd person POV

It was about a few hours before the troupe had finally reached the White Palace at the bottom of the kingdom. Almost everyone was exhausted. Only (Y/n), Brumm, and Grimm were still walking while everyone else had opted to ride in the carriages pulled by Grimmsteeds. They were stopped at the palace's entrance by 2 Kingsmoulds.

"State your business here, strangers", the first one exclaimed.

"We're the Grimm Troupe, here to perform for the King per his invitation", Grimm responded calmly. The second Kingsmould pulled out a fairly long sheet of paper, presumably a list, and quickly read through it.

"Ah yes, here you are. you may pass through. Your majesty awaits you. Though if I may ask, who is this stranger accompanying you?" He stared at the stranger in green armor who somehow made even the Kingsmoulds look rather insignificant next to him.

"This is the Doom Slayer, a brand new member of our troupe. He will be performing with us", said Grimm quickly rushing to his defense. The Kingsmoulds eyed him for a moment.

"Very well, he may pass", said the first Kingsmould. "But he better not cause any trouble."

"Don't worry, he's not nearly as troublesome as his name and appearance might suggest."

'At least if you're not a demon', he thought to himself. Wit that. The Kingsmoulds took a couple steps to the side so they were on opposite sides of the gate entrance, allowing the troupe to get through. 

The palace courtyard was quite impressive, well kept flowers of all kind lined the gates which were being tended to by a few gardeners spread out along the perimeter. in the middle were some benches made of stark white iron. In the middle of it all was a large statue of the King, wings spread out and looking over the courtyard. Everyone got off the carriages after dropping them off in a secluded corner and went in the palace. The inside was even more impressive. Stark white walls that were accented by grey lines, a grey marble floor, and many bugs bustling about, all wearing white robes. The sheer size of the palace put even the blood temples to shame. At the end of the room were 5 bugs that stood out in particular waiting for the troupe.

A fat looking beetle with a dark blue face and horns. A strange plant looking creature with a dress made of leaves. A bug with a normal white dress, pure black eyes, and 3 horns on their head, the one in the middle being the biggest. A bug carrying a mace and wearing massive grey armor that even the (Y/n) had to look up to make eye contact with him. Finally, a bug on the taller side with their hair covering their eyes completely, wearing small armor, no doubt to not hinder movement. The bugs and the troupe met in the middle of the room. Grimm was the first to speak, as always, bowing all the while.

"It is a pleasure to see you all again. I trust that you all have been taking care of yourselves well?"

"We've been doing just fine, thank you", the bug with the leaf dress replied. She caught eye of the stranger.

"And who's this you've brought with you? I've never seen you before."

"I'm known by many as the Doom Slayer, but Slayer or Doomguy's just fine" (Y/n) introduced himself.

"Well, it's a pleasure to meet you, Slayer. My name is Isma, and we are the 5 Great Knights of Hallownest", she said giving a light bow

The beetle took his turn to introduce himself. "I am Ogrim, it's a pleasure, Slayer" he said while holding out a claw, which (Y/n) shook.

Then the hulking bug stepped forward. "I'm Hegemol. It's a pleasure", he said shaking (Y/n)'s hand as Ogrim did, speaking in a surprisingly soft, quiet voice. Then it was the taller bug's turn.

"Ze'mer, an honor to meet you." She only nodded at him, being the mysterious introvert she was. The last knight merely sighed, giving (Y/n) a bit of a cold look.

"Name's Dryya."

"Please excuse her", Isma said. "She has some trust issues and takes a bit to warm up." (Y/n) chuckles.

"Don't worry, I get it. I have my fair share of trust issues as well." He started remembering when he was betrayed by Valen, a man who he thought of as a brother in arms, who was the sole reason Argent D'Nur and the Wraiths had fallen. He shook the thoughts out of his head quickly.

"Anyway", Isma continued. "We're here to escort you all to your rooms. Ze'mer, Please take Grimm, Brumm, and Divine to where they'll be staying. The rest of you, divide the troupe amongst yourselves evenly and take them to their rooms." Soon everyone else had left the room and it was just (Y/n) and Isma left. However before Grimm left, he whispered something to Isma who nodded before Grimm went to catch up with the others.

"Well (Y/n), Grimm just told me he had reserved a room just for you ahead of time with the king. Follow me." With that they went in the same direction everyone else had gone before going down the right hall instead of the left. Isma decided to break the silence.

"So, Doomguy, may I ask where you're from", she asked politely.

"Well I come from a place called Argent D'Nur. I don't know where it is in relation to Hallownest but we were a highly advanced society thanks to our gods, known as The Wraiths. They gave our home vitality, and we channeled their energy, even after they were put to rest a long time ago." This intrigued the knight to say the least.

"Interesting. What happened to it though? You're speaking in past tense." (Y/n) hesitated before answering, half because it was hard for him to talk about and half because he didn't quite remember everything. Being stuck in a cursed sarcophagus for who knows how long definitely messed with his memory.

"We... were at war. They wanted our energy. We fought against them, but we were soon betrayed by one of our own. They offered to bring his son back who was killed in battle. In the end they won and they had our Wraith energy, completely overpowering us."

"Oh dear. I'm...I'm sorry. It must have been devastating to realize one of your own had betrayed you so harshly like that," Isma said in shock.

"It's fine, I'm mostly over it now," he said dismissively.

"Well it's good to know you don't let the past hold you back. But where do you stay now? Have you moved to Hallownest?"

"Well yes and no. I found a new home after Argent D'Nur was destroyed before I was sent here against my will by some crazy scientist who claimed he was helping the world, long story. Anyway I got sent here, stumbled upon the troupe, and Grimm took me in."

"I see. Do you have any way to get home?"

"No not yet." Isma had a sorrowful look.

"Well, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for something."

"Thanks, I appreciate the thought." The two eventually reached (Y/n)'s room.

"Here we are, Slayer. The performance is scheduled for tomorrow. I look forward to seeing your performance."

"Thanks, Isma. See ya then." The two waved at each other before going their separate ways. (Y/n) walked through the door he was met with a stark white room. There was a bed on the far left that stretched toward the center of the room but still left plenty of room to walk. In the corner was plush chair for one person. There was a closet in the opposite corner that had towels and clothes hangers that was right next to a bathroom. In the opposite far corner there was a desk and chair with a lumafly lamp. (Y/n) took a moment to realize just how atrocious he smelled. With that he placed all his weapons on and under the desk as well as under the bed before taking a towel and entering the bathroom to clean himself up.

What (Y/n) and Isma they didn't notice was a servant of the white palace who had passed by them while they were talking. Once the servant reached their own room they suddenly started hearing strange voices in their head. They slowly but surely got louder and louder, overwhelming the poor sap. It eventually became too much before they passed out. They woke up however just a few seconds later, without realizing their eyes having flashed a dark crimson red...