Introduction to Hallownest

(Y/n) POV

Join the troupe, ey? I guess that's not a bad idea. And it could help me learn more about where I am and what the people are like. I just hope there aren't any demons here. Besides I guess it wouldn't hurt to perform again. It's been quite a while since I held an 8-string anyway. I'm pretty sure that's what  troupes do. (yes the Doom 2016 and Eternal soundtrack was recorded with an 8-string guitar, last I checked. Mick also used one for a live performance at the 2016 game awards so yeah.)

"Sure. I'll need a place to stay anyway." Grimm let a smile form on his face.

"Wonderful. I'll inform the troupe and we'll get introductions out of the way at dinner tonight. For now, let's get you a room, shall we?" He led me out of the tent to what would best be describe as a whole village of them hidden behind the main one. We walked through the series of tents seeing some strange creatures along the way . Ghost like forms wearing white masks with black eyes and black lines going through the eyes vertically. I asked Grimm what they were.

"Those are just the Grimmkin that make up the troupe. They are comprised of 3 different ranks. The smallest ones are the novices, notorious for their off the wall pranks so beware of them. Then a rank up you have the Grimmkin masters, like novices but more powerful and much more mature, thank goodness. Finally the largest ones you see are the Grimmkin Nightmares. They are incredibly powerful and the Grimmkin I tend to rely on most for carrying out important tasks."

As he finished explaining we walked up to a tent larger than a fair amount than the others, but not as big as the main one. I was met by a wall directly in front of the tent entrance with a door and opened it. It was a well kept room with a walk in closet, a fairly large bed, a nightstand with a scarlet colored lamp, and a door to a bathroom.

"So, do you like it?", Grimm asked. "I can always fix it up for you or get you another one if it's not to your liking."

"No need. This'll do just fine", I tell him. "Glad you like it. Feel free to rest here or wander around and get yourself acquainted with your new environment. Dinner will be in about 3 hours."

I nod. "You got it." Grimm walked off but stopped in the doorway and looked back at me.

"And (Y/n), I sincerely hope you enjoy your stay here." With that he closed the door.

I got my weapons out of my warp pack. I put the bigger weapons into the walk in closet such as the BFG, rocket launcher, chainsaw, gauss cannon and chain gun, then put the shotguns, plasma rifle, and heavy assault rifle under my bed, and put my pistol under the pillow before laying down (because fuck you). I put an alarm on my helmet for 3 hours later and took it off, putting it on the nightstand before falling asleep.

*3 hour time skip*

My helmet alarm went off and I heard the trumpet of that one Revenant playing a trumpet version of my theme. Man I miss that guy. He was probably the only demon I regretted killing. He was pretty fun, but a job's a job. I decided to rest for 5 more minutes and put my helmet on to deactivate the alarm. When I put it back on the nightstand I heard a voice I never though I'd hear again coming from my helmet.

"Wow, Y/n. I never thought I'd see the day where I'd catch the 'Legendary Doom Slayer' taking a nap of all people." I just gave him a sarcastic sounding laugh.

"Good to see you too, VEGA."

"Likewise, Y/n. I must thank you for making a backup copy of me. I was willing to die to save the world without getting any thanks or favors back."

"Well that's what friends do, right?"

"Yeah... I guess so."

I decided to get up and get my gear on and put my weapons back in my warp pack since it was about time to eat. I don't need to eat of course but it would be rude not to go, especially considering it's my first night here.

I exit the tent and try to back track the way I came earlier. It takes about 5 minutes but I eventually make it back to the big tent I first came in. Some of the Grimmkin were giving me weird looks. It felt like I was out of place here. Then again, I kind of was.

I had no idea where the hell I was going, so I just decided to follow where everyone else was going. Soon I found myself in a huge dining room in the tent with 3 very long tables. The novices sat down at the one closer to the entrance, the masters sat at the one in the back of the room, and the nightmares sat at the table in the center of the room where Grimm was. There were two other people with him. There was a big larvae looking creature with a half mask and the other was a bug about half Grimm's height with a fluffy, bright red scarf and a mask identical to the ones the Grimmkin all wear. Grimm motioned me over so I sat down next to him and the shorter masked bug before he clinked a spoon against a wine glass and everyone went silent.

"Good evening everyone. As you may or may not have noticed, we have a guest here tonight." He looked at me and motioned for me to stand up, which I did.

"This is the Doom Slayer. He came from a different dimension and stumbled upon our tent. He is now a certified member of the troupe, and I expect you all to treat him as such. I advise you to approach him to ask any questions about his past later on, as we should get to know our new member as much as we can. That is all for now. We have a journey tomorrow after our performance, so it's best to eat as much as you can tonight and tomorrow, as the trip will be quite a while down to the bottom of the kingdom." With that I sat down and the kin all turned their eyes to their comrades and started to eat and converse with each other. Almost reminds me of sitting down with the Night Sentinels for a good meal after a hard day's work...

Luckily Grimm doesn't seem to notice anything wrong with me because he can't see my face behind me helmet. The larvae is the first to say something.

"Nice to meet you dearie, my name is Divine." She holds out her claw like appendage for a handshake, which I reciprocate.

"It's been a while since we've had a new member. Are you going to perform as an act for the troupe?" I nod my head.

"Oh splendid! What kind of act are you planning to do?"

"I decided to be a musical act. Metal guitar to be specific." Grimm chuckled and the masked bug perked up slightly.

"Well, I'm sure you'd get along very nicely with our other troupe musician here", Grimm says. The other bug holds out his hand which I shake.

"Mrmm. My name is Brumm. As Grimm mentioned I'm the other musician for our troupe."

"What do you play", I ask him.

"An accordion, Mrmm."

"Ooh, interesting. I tried it myself, but it wasn't my kind of instrument. I prefer strings." Brumm lightened up slightly.

"I've always wanted to play a guitar myself, but it's rather hard to find a decent teacher when you're constantly traveling. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you perhaps teach me?"

"Yeah, I'd love too. Maybe tomorrow after lunch?"

He seemed to smile behind the mask. "Sounds great." Grimm laughed slightly.

"Look at you two, already getting along", he lightly teased. With that, we continued eating our food and everyone went to their tents to wind down for the night. I fell asleep with my mind wandering, thinking about the endless possibilities with the troupe and what was to come.