000.

DEBUT
the fate of mayalean

"
Iroh to Zuko.
AIR IS THE ELEMENT OF FREEDOM.

152 AG.

A baby, swaddled in a yellow blanket, laid quiet within her cradle— the only gesture that gave the family reassurance she was alive were her bright, wide eyes, taking in all of her environmental surroundings.

She cooed at the strange, large figures, as they all looked upon her, beaming at the child who had just been born the previous day. Though there were so many people in the room, none of them could hardly make a sound, too frightened to startle the delicate child.

Being picked up from her cradle, the baby wailed, missing the comfort of the plush pillows. "Shhh," the father comforted, holding her close to his chest.

"Oh, Tenzin," his own mother stated in amazement, placing a hand on his shoulder. "She's beautiful."

The tears built up in Katara's eyes, her lip quivering in an attempt to stop the outburst of happiness she had felt. Her own son was now a father— and she got to experience this moment with her family.

"She is, isn't she?" Tenzin barely spoke above a whisper, handing the infant off to his mother so she could finally hold her after the long journey.

Katara could only nod, enchanted by the baby who was still crying in confusion. She had tried to rock her, like she did with her own three children, but to no avail, the baby continued to bawl.

None of them seemed to mind though, too in awe with the sight of such delicate innocence, all 7 pounds of it. Looking up to her husband, Katara saw his eyes were now glossed over with raw emotion. Their youngest son didn't seem so young anymore.

Avatar Aang placed a delicate hand on her head, pushing back her full head of dark hair to look at her better. Suddenly, the baby stopped crying as she witnessed the strongest man in all the nations look upon her so admirably— it was almost as if she knew.

"She'll be an airbender," Aang said smiling. "I just know it." Looking to his son, Tenzin smiled back, with pride. He knew he was making his father proud. "She'll be a strong one too."

Katara just giggled at the baby, wrapping the blanket around her a little bit tighter. "What's her name, Tenzin?" She asked, curiosity now getting the best of her.

"Mayalean," Tenzin announced proudly.

She looked so much like her mother, Pema, already, with her kind green eyes and dark hair, so it was only fitting that she took one of Pema's family names.

Tenzin's parents smiled at him, as if the name had fit her perfectly. Aang had finally removed his hand from her hair, letting it fall back down onto her forehead in dark brown tussles. "Welcome to the family, Mayalean," he said to her.

"You're gonna love it."