22-A chance to explain

Matt POV

I don't know where I stand right now. Sophie is being a bit hot and cold she threw herself at me, then flinches away from my touch.

But then she did just do some pretty impressive (albeit disgusting) vomiting so I imagine that is why. She takes ages coming down so I explore a little downstairs.

A little room off the kitchen has her washer in it so I load her soiled bedding into it then return to the kitchen fixing myself a coffee. I don't really need it, I just had the best sleep I have had in months, but I need to keep myself busy.

The waiting is driving me insane. I make Sophie a cup of tea, I know she likes coffee but I have some vague recollection (Thanks to something on netflix) that pregnant women can't have coffee. She's English, I figure she probably likes tea.

When Sophie eventually comes down she is worrying her lip with her teeth. I wait patiently for her to say whatever it is. The grip of my hand on my coffee becoming firmer each passing minute as my anticipation builds. She takes a deep breath as if to ready herself.
“Earlier was a mistake. It wont happen again. I don't know why you came here, but can you say what it is you came to say and then leave.”

“Wait. What? You're kicking me out? No." I refuse shaking my head, "I spent too long looking for you I won't let you go again”

“Matt," she sighs, "Look, I cant prove what you did to Thornton and I promise I won't come bothering you or asking for money for the baby or anything. I’m not your problem” she says not meeting my eye.

My voice comes out low and steady suppressed anger etched into every word
“Right Sophie, lets get something straight. I never hurt Thornton. Thats not what I do. I seek financial compensation from people who owe a debt. How is a dead body of any use to me?” She makes to retort, but I hold up a hand to silence her. Stepping around her I pull the stack of newspapers out of the bag that I left in the hall.

I dump them on the counter beside her.
"Read them, it was an accident. His car skid on the ice. Did you even bother to check?"

"But…" she starts, scanning the articles.

“No! You can hear me out. Mia left those papers on my desk with the intent of causing a misunderstanding between us and you just ate it all up. You didn’t even ask me Soph! Then she lied to you on the phone. I never left any message to give to you, and I never got any messages from you" I clench my fist, at the thought of Mia.

"Why would Mia do that?" She asks quietly her eyes still on the newspapers.

"I don't understand why, but she was trying to get rid of you. Keeping your calls and letters from me, the mix up with my birthday, you not getting your gala invite…" I list off relieved that she's listening.

"When she spilled the wine on me?" She says thoughtfully, I nod confirming. "So, what I am supposed to have done? Guessed you had a psycho secretary? Just said 'hey Matt did you kill my client?' then believe you? Even with proof that you were already lying to me?" Her eyes are on the floor but I know from the frustration in her voice that they would be full of tears.

"I admit that I lied to you about the merger, and I'm sorry. At first it was so I could track down Thornton. But I kept it going after I found him for the same reason I have been searching the globe for you." I step forward holding her chin so she'll look at me, her eyes are glassy and I wonder if she was crying, or if she is going to.

"Because I wanted you to stay. I wasn't ready to say goodbye, I hadn't had enough time with you. I don't know if I will ever have had enough time with you." I rest my head against hers, her eyes flutter closed but she doesn't push me away.