Sometimes: modern AU

Sometimes I just want you back.
Sometimes, I wonder why you had to leave me.
Sometimes I wonder why you died.
Sometimes I wonder, was it because of me?

___________________________

I stared at the ceiling as tears crept from my eyes. My vision blurred, fuzzing out the texture of plaster and wood. Once we had dreamed of buying and fixing this old shack in the woods. Away and secluded from all the craziness of it all.

The house was tall and beautiful. The plants and flowers growing there were delicate and pretty in a girly sort of way. She had loved it here, but instead of becoming a home, it became our place to hide from the world. Just thinking about her love of this place brought back terrible memories.

I thought about how she obsessively brushed her long golden hair. She thought that looking her best was important, even if she was just wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt. She had loved to paint, it was her only escape from her hard life. She was rich, her family had all the love and money they needed. The problem was the old hag who was her aunt. Her parents thought her aunt was a saint, until, until.

The memories flashed through my mind. I walked up to her house to pick her up for our date. It was our 2 year anniversary, and we were both excited. I was 21 and she was 20, not a big age difference as her birthday was 3 months after mine. I knocked on her bedroom door after her little sister let me in. When I walked up to her room, I saw something dripping out of the door. Blood, but why was blood coming out of her door? I panicked and flung the door open. There in front of me lay a lifeless young woman, having been stabbed to death. I cried out rushing forward, grabbing her lifeless body "Rapunzel, please cmon wake up don't leave me. " But realization set in, and I began to cry. "Punz-zie why, who did this why?" Behind me a scream echoed, Rapunzel's sister had followed me up and was only now seeing the blood. She ran to my side and stared in shock.

"Call the police" I said still holding Rapunzel's lifeless body in my arms, I was shaking with rage and despair. "Who would do this" I whispered as the 15 year old beside me called the police with shaky hands. 5 minutes later the police and Rapunzel's parents found me and Rapunzel's sister crying and in shock over Rapunzel's dead body. We were pried away, but not before I found a note from Rapunzel. "wait" I said pointing at the piece of paper. The police took it as evidence. Later Rapunzel's aunt was convicted of murdering the girl. Gothel had been mean and heartless to Rapunzel, making her life a living hell. I had tried to step in, but never succeeded.

Almost every minute of every day I curse myself for not making sure the woman stopped. I should have stepped in farther, I could've. I hate myself for it, I knew Rapunzel would hate it, but I couldn't help hating myself. I should've been better, I should have gotten her out of their earlier. I was going to propose that day, and if I had, we would've gotten married and it would've been avoided. I can't help but think about the life I should be living. That she should be living.

The room tilted as I stood, and walked out of the old house. I got in my car, and drove back to my home. I was taking a small break from collage "recovering". My therapy councilor thought I needed it, and I wish I had a distraction. However I was glad that I didn't have to do anything anymore. The road winded into the mountains, and on the foothills was my family mansion. The trees outside were auburn, red, yellow, and Crimson. I looked out the window, and saw the old park as I drove by. It was old and faded, about 20 years old, and was another distinct memory of Rapunzel. I hated how the whole area reeked of old memories that only made me cry.

I pushed the gas petal and sped to my home. The car tires passed over gravel as I went into the garage. I wanted to go to sleep and never wake up, to join Rapunzel. But I wouldn't commit suicide, it was just wrong, and not a good remembrance of her. I sighed and closed the garage door, behind me, walking into the mud room. I kicked off my shoes and headed upstairs, silently cursing myself. It was 3 in the afternoon, and Therapy started at 3:30. Sadly my parents forced me to go, and I couldn't get out of it. I sighed, and just kept her in my mind, it's what kept me sane.

Rapunzel was the only thing I cared about. To make her proud of me. So that's what I'm going to do.

[A/N]

I know it's uber short, I just want to get my ideas out. Some one shots are long and have multiple parts, and some are short little ones. It's just what I'm doing.