Chapter 6 - Welcome to the Central African Republic

"But I don't understand. Why am I even here?" Claudia asked no one in particular, stomping her foot in anger. A strong gust of wind blew past her, causing her to flinch, but it definitely cooled her off. The teenager couldn't admit it, even though her mind had doubts, she insisted that she had to be right with the fact that she had been doing nothing wrong. The temperature out here was definitely as hot as an operating oven, and it was further backed up with the fact that Claudia was sweating profusely. The place can be considered as a dessert just by looking at the temperature. That's how much heat the sun is emitting.

Claudia trailed on, hoping she'd find a way to get out of this place soon. She had no shoes to cover her bare feet, no sunscreen to prevent sunburn, and no water for staying hydrated. She also did not have any food with her, nor did she have a hat or sunglasses to shade her from the blazing sun. To most of us, it was a nightmare being in the blazing heat for so long. Claudia wasn't any different from us, and she also was suffering from the temperature already.

"Where are all the delicious cookies and candies?" Claudia asked, and she seemed as if she was ready to throw a fit at the lack of sweets provided to her. She raised her head to look up from the ground, and to her luck, she spotted a little house towards the left in her sight. Her instincts caused her to change directions instantly, walking towards the wooden house in hopes to stay there for the time being.

"Wooden house...wooden house." She told herself, panting like a dog as if she were out of breath. Whoosh! A gust of wind blew past her again, and for a moment, Claudia seemed relieved. However, unlike her expectations and prediction, this time it was a gust of hot air, and it was as if fire just surged beside her. This made her puff in dismay, her back bent forward as she put her hands on her knees.

"Oh dear, may I please be of help?" A voice asked kindly, which caused Claudia to turn around, her hazel eyes landed on a woman who seemed to be in her 40's to '50s.

Claudia seemed to stare at the woman before she scoffed as if she already knew someone was there. It had a sign of relief though. "Finally, someone to help me!" She exclaimed with a smile, walking over to the woman.

"Why is it so hot here? Where is this place, lady?" Claudia fired questions, desperate to get out of this nightmarishly hot place as soon as possible.

"Why, you don't know where we are?" The old lady questioned in shock as if certain Claudia would have known where they were right now. "Well, we're somewhere in the Central African Republic." She explained kindly. After all, the lady felt that it was nice to help out newcomers like the teenager who were lost.

"Africa? But- but- why?" The brunette asked, taken aback by this newfound information she'd just received. "I don't understand! I was in bed a while ago!" She added, holding her hands out lightning-fast and looking down at them. She was definitely in a state of shock and panic. Claudia breathed quickly, the sound of her frantic breaths being audible to the woman in front of her. "How?!" She asked, her head flicking up from her hands to meet the old woman's gaze.

"Well, if you don't know how you got here, unfortunately that just means I have no clue either. Sorry, kiddo." The old woman answered with a shake of her head. "Ugh..." Claudia groaned in dismay, putting her hands on her face in distress. "How about you stay at my place?" The woman then offered, in an attempt to cheer the teenager up. This caused the brunette to stop her groaning, and look at the woman. The teen's eyes narrowed, most likely to steadily study her.

"Sure, whatever."

"35 degrees?" Claudia asked, her eyes squinted at the little number displayed on her phone. "Oh what did I do to deserve this horrid treatment?" She sighed in distress. "I would be in my room with the air-con on if it was this hot!"

"That's wonderful to hear. You must be so lucky back there." The old woman said, her wrinkled face smiling at the teenager. "You know dear, things are not as easy for us as they must be for you." She started, taking Claudia's hands into her own. And for once, the teenager furrowed her brow in confusion, taking in the woman's words.

"Over here, there's barely any food sold in the markets, and the choices are so limited... And there are even to as far as monitors when we are farming." She continued, looking over at her little shack. "Even flour is not cheap, everything is so expensive here!" The woman then exclaimed, shaking her head in sadness. It seemed like she herself also did not understand why fate put her in such a horrible living environment.

Her eyes met Claudia's, eyes that were pleading for help. "I'd do anything to be in your shoes." She breathed, her voice in a tone that signified sadness and sorrow.

Claudia shook her head slightly. "Wow, must be tough living here." She admitted, her voice so quiet it could have almost come off as muttering.

But the teenager took in the words of the woman and repeated them inside her head. Limited choices? She thought, her face scrunching up in disgust at the thought of it. Ugh, she could never live with so limited food choices provided to her. So Claudia felt sorry for the woman, who wasn't able to pick her meals, who couldn't be like her.

But deep down, Claudia felt something strong towards the situation the woman was in. An unusual feeling of pity, perhaps, for this old woman. But why? Why would she care about these people that she didn't even know eating only veggies and grains, while she got the luxurious privilege of strawberry frosted donuts and chocolate-coated cookies?