Chapter 14: Well kept secrets

RECOMMENDED SONG: HYPNOTISED BY YEARS AND YEARS

Oikawa and Kuroo walked through the forest as stealthily as possible, avoiding stones, fallen branches, and roots sticking out of the frozen ground. An absolute silence reigned in the air, only their soft breaths or the faint crunch of wild grass were heard with each footstep.

They walked side by side, the backs of their hands brushing from time to time, silent caresses that quickened their hearts and led to discreet glances out of the corner of their eyes. None of them said anything or showed any other sign of having felt the friction; pride and stubbornness prevailed when it came to being honest, so they kept quiet. But they both knew that such friction existed, even if they didn't mention it aloud.

"Why are you so silent, Oikawa-kun?" Kuroo asked with a smirk.

"Because I have nothing to say," Oikawa replied, giving him a furtive glance. "And you, Kuro-chan? Do you have something to say?"

"Hm... Nah, I don't think so."

Oikawa snickered wryly, shaking his head as Kuroo looked at him discreetly with a small smile trying to play on his lips. They kept walking, listening for any sounds and trying to ignore the brushing of hands and the glances that did not stop flying between them. But the place was so lonely that they soon stopped worrying that someone was hiding to attack them or their packs. No experienced and intelligent hunter would dare to tread Sakusa's territory, and members of Sakusa's pack or the alpha himself would gain nothing by attacking them from behind when they could have done so when they had met hours earlier.

"Oh, Kuro-chan," Oikawa called. Kuroo looked at him. "Actually... I do have something to say. That hunter... The one from the other day... The one who attacked you."

"It was him, right?" Kuroo asked. His voice was sad. "The one who accuses you of killing his family."

Oikawa lowered his head to look at the ground. He was biting his lip in a nervous and desperate gesture, and Kuroo could smell the sadness that was emitting from his skin.

"His name is Iwaizumi Hajime," Oikawa muttered. "I've known him almost since I was born. He was my best friend when we were kids and then... everything went wrong. We spent our days together, we went to the same class... All of that was before I had to run away.

"I know my mother would never kill a human, least of all him or his family. My mother was very fond of them, she treated Iwa-chan like her own son."

"I'm sorry," Kuroo lamented, placing a hand affectionately on Oikawa's arm, "it shouldn't have been easy."

"No, it's not easy," Oikawa whispered. "That's why I want to investigate the death of his parents. To show him that we had nothing to do with that tragedy. That's why when you came with Bokuto-san's message... Joining you and bring down the Hunters Guild can help me find the reports of the attack. Forensic reports. As the werewolves allegedly killed them, the hunters keep the reports in their possession. But I'm going to get them. I want Iwa-chan to see that neither me nor my mother would kill anyone."

Oikawa ran his fingers over the jewel that hung from his neck, trying to remember his mother's smile and the love she had given him until the last moment of her life.

"I'll help you with whatever you need, Oikawa-kun. Count on me."

"Thank you, Kuro-chan."

"No problem."

Silence made its way into the air again. As they progressed, the trees grew closer together, and the little starlight that had previously seeped through the leaves had now practically disappeared. Their steps were slow to avoid stumbling, and only their alpha status gave them an advantage in the dark. His eyes, red at the time, weren't as useful as they might have been during the day or anywhere with light, but at least his sight was more developed than that of humans and they could be guided almost in the complete blackness of the forest.