Rainy Day

I’m just imagining me and my comfort character at my house, the little door to the balcony is wide open and we can hear the rain and the soft, rolling thunder. He’s put on music and he’s taken over my bed, I’m sitting at my desk, staring out of the door.

“Damn, it’s really comin’ down out there,” I’m saying, mostly to myself between studying sessions.

He nods but he doesn’t seem to care. He’s concentrated on his work.

I sigh, not frustrated or tired or sad, I just huff, stand and grin. “Come on.” He looks up and blinks. “Come *on*.” If I hadn’t grabbed his hand then and pulled him along, he’d have let me walk out of my room and continued studying.

Outside is cold and wet and the smell of the rain let’s me let out a sigh of peace. The sound of it is even more beautiful. I smile and jog into my backyard, letting the pouring rain soak me, and turn back to look at him. “Geez, come here! It’s just water.”

I can’t tell if he rolls his eyes; both of our glasses are foggy and drops collect on the lenses like dew on spiderwebs but he’s stepping down from the little platform and into the grass, closer to me. He’s forgotten his jacket inside and he holds his arms like he’s cold.

I grin to him and look at the sky. And then I laugh. He really stepped out into the rain with me- I had thought he hated the rain. He told me so, sometime before the rain season snuck up on us.

“You’re all wet,” I say, still beaming.

“That’s what rain does,” he says, tone coated in salt and irritation, “it’s water.” He takes off his glasses to shake off some drops but it’s no use, it’s raining too hard. Thunder rolls above, subtly, quietly. “Why are we out here? I hate rain.”

“Well, I love it,” I open my palms up to the sky and breathe, “it’s peaceful and refreshing and you needed some fun, y’know.”

He rolls his eyes.

“And,” I grin, “I can do this-” I jump into the puddle between us and splash him, soaking his pants and shoes. He looks thoroughly angry but I’ve seen that face enough times to not be scared of it, he doesn’t faze me anymore. He takes a step forward and I let out an exaggerated squeal of fear, booking it across the backyard to run from whatever he’s trying to do.

He really did need some fun, because we didn’t go back inside until the sky darkened and we were playing a rainy day version of tag.