A Cut Above the Rest

{for the Jaya Discord Fluff-Off #2! ChiliBerry
Title inspired by JamesTheSwagg3r and no it is NOT angsty}

"Nyaaaaaa!" Jay's muffled voice came from below deck. Nya raised an eyebrow and went to go check what was wrong. Usually, it meant Jay needed a spare part that was a little too far away to get. If it was really serious, he'd come get her himself.

She rounded the corner to the workshop and peeked in. "What's up, bluebell?" He turned around to her and held out his hand by holding it with the other one and shaking it.

"I got hurt!" He pouted and teared up. Nya refrained from rolling her eyes and smiled a little instead. He might be dramatic but at least he was honest.

"C'mere. Let me have a look." She crossed over and crouched down next to him. He scooted closer and Nya took his hand, examining it. She expected to find blood or perhaps a smashed thumb, but found nothing. "Where is it?"

"Right there!" Jay shrieked and pointed as if it was obvious what Nya should see. She squinted and pulled his hand closer to her face. She really didn't see the big fuss.

"Ohhh, I see it now." Nya finally spotted a tiny little paper cut on his right pointer finger. It was hardly visible, even in the bright light of the workshop.

"See?! It hurts!" Jay pouted some more when Nya made no move to fix it. She chuckled and squeezed his hand. He was such a drama queen but she loved it, no matter what she acted like sometimes.

"Stop being so dramatic, Jay. It's only a paper cut." She teased him. He didn't say anything, only yanked his hand back and crossed his arms. Nya discreetly rolled her eyes. He was so cute but so stubborn when he wanted attention from her. She sighed and untangled his arms, taking his hand back.

Jay looked back with watery eyes and watched as Nya kissed his hand and squeezed it again. "All better?" She asked. He nodded and wiped his eyes.

"Can I have one more? I think my mouth might have a paper cut too." Jay asked with a side smile. Nya giggled and booped his nose.

"Not quite yet! How 'bout we get you a bandaid for your paper cut and then we'll figure out how to fix your mouth?" She winked at him. His eyes lit up and he smiled widely.

"Can it be a Fritz Donnegan band-aid?" He asked excitedly. Nya laughed and nodded. His bright eyed reminded her of a puppy's.

"Of course. C'mon, shortie." She pulled him to his feet and he mock-gasped, pressing his non-injured hand to his chest.

"Ma'am! I will have you know I used to be taller than Kai!" Jay told her. "I'm not short, I'm adorable! Plus, I'm taller than you!" He teased her. She glared at him but couldn't keep a smile from growing on her face.

"Let's just get you that band-aid, bluejay." Nya tugged Jay out the door and he followed with a silly smile. So what if he was a little dramatic? He always got what he wanted in the end!