Cupcakes

{Hey guys. I'm back with some mini angsty Jaya snippets...Seabound hit hard. This is the first Jaya I've written since then, so bear with me since it's unplanned and short.

Summary—Post-Seabound: Nya is unmerged and got sick with an incurable elemental disease}

"Happy birthday to you...
Happy birthday to you...
Happy birthday dear Nya...
Happy birthday to you..."

Jay lit the candle on the cupcake in front of the phone with Nya's face on it. He knew there was a nurse on the other side holding it up since she couldn't.

"Hey Nya. Today...today's your birthday." He started, staring at the bright flame. He couldn't bear to look at her blank expression...yet he couldn't bear to look away either. "I, uh...I baked your favorite flavor. Zane helped. He's been extra quiet since you left a month ago." He paused, finally meeting her eyes. Blank. She blinked slowly, once. "Zane? He...never mind."

Nya's mind and body were deteriorating, a side effect of being merged with the sea for so long. Over a year, actually. Her body had been so weakened that she immediately had been admitted to a hospital. Jay had only been allowed in one time to see her. He stayed until he was exhausted and had to be carried out by Cole four days later.

Nya's memories were next to go. The strongest ones held on the longest but even they had to go. According to the doctors, the next 24 hours were supposed to be her last, not that anyone except Jay knew. He wasn't even supposed to know.

He hadn't heard Nya speak in...how long had it been? The first day she came back? He missed her arms. Her voice. Her smile. Seeing her strong and independent, like how she was in the ocean.

Maybe...maybe he should've left her like how she was. After all, the only reason she was here was because of h-

beep...beep...beeeeeeeep

The phone screen went black as it dropped to the blanket.

"Nya? Nya!" He jumped up, knocking over the cupcake and making the flame go out as he grabbed the phone. A commotion from the other side of the now-black screen made his anxiety and his breathing skyrocket. A panic attack. He could feel it building.

"NYA!!"