Intersections

Found out today I'm like 3/4 deaf in one ear lol... definitely looking forward to my experimental treatment in a few weeks

Anyway, besides this one there's two more chapters. Can't wait for all of you to get to see them!!

Ingrid started healing as soon as I got her back into the water, and I allowed myself to grow my fins once more shortly after. The recon point isn't too far from the actual target, but there's a secret water-based entrance- which is why we chose it- and that's further down the coast.

My arm is hooked under one of Ingrid's arms as I pull her behind me. From what I've picked up over the communicators, the only person to be injured so far is Sam, but he's functional still. Something in me whispers that I should help them, but something else screams that my first duty is to my Sisters. Plus, the others can handle themselves quite well without me.

Ingrid snaps awake all at once, thrashing around in an attempt to get away from me.

"No! No! Let me go!" She shouts at me, hardly conscious. I grip her tighter, pausing my swimming.

"Ingrid, it's me, calm down," I murmur, humming to her. "Ingrid, it's Madeline, you're safe," I coax.

"Madeline," She mumbles. "What... what happened?"

"I made some friends... and we're going to get you help and get home," I shrug.

"You made friends?" Ingrid chuckles, promptly wincing in pain.

"Oh, shut up, I'm trying to pull you here," I snap, biting back a smile.

The moment the words are out of my mouth, a current sweeps us up, continuing down the coast, prompting a small cry of surprise. I always forget her willingness to use the ocean.

"If they see a current being diverted they're going to find us, let it go," I gently scold.

"Good thing I'm not diverting one and makin' a new one instead. I ain't that dumb," Ingrid whines.

"Of course you did," I mutter. "Obviously you would just 'make a new one,'"

Ingrid is the most powerful among us as far as bending the water goes. Grace herself has never seen someone with so much control over it, especially so quickly. She's good enough that she can just make a new current at her every whim. Most of us just divert a current, maybe harnessing a particularly powerful wave, but hardly ever creating a new one entirely. It's possible to make a new current, it's essentially just moving the water for a longer period of time, but that's why it's so much work- moving the water in the back of your mind.

"Sure these friends are real?" Ingrid whispers.

"Hey!" I shout, shoving her slightly out of the current.

--

"They're here!" Someone shouts as soon as we get into the dome, the announcement echoing through the room. Everyone stops working to stare at the two mermaids dragging themselves out of the water.

"See something funny, crumbs?" Ingrid shouts, still wincing as I drag her to the edge of the dock.

"Medic coming through!" I hear the woman herself shouts, coming through with a floating table.

"I finally get to touch one of y'all?" Jacky snickers as her assistant sets the table down.

"Oh, we're leaving soon," I pull myself out of the water, taking the skirt that she hands me and pulling it over my fins. "Help me up, Jacky?" I nod towards the table that Ingrid is on.