2 - recuperation

The ride to wherever they're going feels like a blur. All Kenma can recall of the journey is the sound of tires skidding across asphalt and Kuroo's bloody hands.

Kuroo, however, was quite the mess. Kenma's body was so slender, the bullet had managed to pierce all the way through his shoulder, coming out the other end. This, unfortunately, resulted in a lot of blood.

"Just keep your eyes on me, Kenma." Kuroo gently pats the smaller boy's cheek, grimacing when he realizes he'd just wiped even more blood on his face. Oops.

Kuroo knew the mess he was getting himself into by taking Kenma back to his estate. However, his infatuation and curiosity over his new acquaintance overrode all other concerns. Why wasn't Kozume Kenma dead? Where has he been? Why would his father try to kill him in the first place?

When Kozume Hideaki's son vanished around two or so years ago, rumors spread. Kozume Kenma was always known as a rather skinny, unhealthy-looking boy, so some say he got sick and dropped dead.

Others say he ran away, to America. There were even rumors that Hideaki killed his own son, but no one knew why. All in all, no one ever truly knew what had happened to the lost prince of the Japanese mafia.

And Kuroo Tetsurou was determined to be the first to find out.

Daichi speeds through the hidden entrance at the back of the Nekoma estate, skidding to a stop in the large underground storage facility. At least twenty different cars sit parked in the lot, varying from brand new Lamborghinis, to Teslas, to large Ford F-150s. Anything they could need. And anything Daichi could get Kuroo to buy, for that matter.

Daichi Sawamura was the Nekoma syndicate's official driver. Not a designated driver, of any sorts, but rather Kuroo's professional speedster. And boy, was Daichi good at his job.

Kuroo had first met Daichi a few years back, on a mission. The Nekoma leader had never been able to find a driver to match his speed, be there when he needs him---basically read his mind. His driver had died on that mission, and Kuroo and Bokuto found themselves quite stranded and surrounded in a rather unfortunate area: an offcut part of Tokyo, a ways away from their territory.

Daichi, noticing their predicament, had drifted up beside them and offered them a ride. His car was rather run-down, but it managed to get the job done. Kuroo had never met anyone who could drive as well, or as fast, as Daichi Sawamura. Daichi brought them back to his small apartment in a lesser-known region of the city, where they met Sugawara Koushi, Daichi's boyfriend.

Sugawara had been studying to become a registered nurse at the time, so he had managed to patch the two Nekoma members up. In the end, Kuroo invited them to stay at his estate and join his syndicate. They accepted, and have remained a part of his group ever since.

Kuroo practically kicks the door of the Subaru Forester off its hinges, carrying Kenma into the elevator that led up to the estate itself. Bokuto follows close behind, while Daichi speeds off to park the vehicle.

The elevator ride up felt like an eternity to Kuroo, the lifeless form of his new friend hanging loosely in his arms. As soon as the door opens, Bokuto parts the way through other Nekoma members making their own way through the hall.

"Suga?" Kuroo calls out, walking through the infirmary door Bokuto had been holding open for them. Cots line the walls, mostly empty, but a few house injured Nekomatas. They'd probably gotten nicked when escaping the banquet just now.

Sugawara's head pops out from behind a curtained room, an eyebrow raised. "Yeah, boss?" His eyes land on the bleeding boy. "Oh-" He walks towards Kuroo, tearing off his previous set of gloves and pulling a new pair on. "Over here."