~chapter 3~

Ophelia's pov:

I looked down at my phone, Kyler's name popped up, my eyes went wide as I stared at the notification, "should I answer him what no no no no, he treated you like an object, a hobby" I reminded myself. I grabbed my phone and opened the text.

'Hey, can we talk?" the message said.

I am not acknowledging him, I slowly set my phone down, waiting for Miguel to respond, soon enough my phone buzzed, I grabbed my phone, expecting Miguel's response, only it wasn't Miguel, it was Eli.

'So my mom said yes, and also are we going after school or before the party?' the text read. I jumped up and down on my bed flopping back down.

'Omg, I'm so excited, and yea after school' I responded

I put my phone in my bag. Miguel isn't responding, so I slowly get up from the edge of my bed and walk into the kitchen. I open the fridge, it squeaks in the process.

'We just went grocery shopping where is all the food?' I questioned myself. I closed the fridge, my phone buzzed again. This time Miguel finally responded.

'Yea, I'm ready to come, pick me up loser' Miguel responded.

I scoffed, loser my ass. I grabbed my bag and headed off to his house. I knocked softly, the door flew opened and his mother popped her head out the side of the door.

"Hey, Ms. Diaz is Miguel ready for debate class," I asked, shifting my weight on my left leg, fidgeting with my fingers. She opened the door revealing Miguel. Miguel scurried out the door.

"Bye mom" Miguel shouted before skipping down the steps.

"You two be safe" she shouted back, I unlocked my car, started it, and started driving towards the dojo.

We arrived at the dojo 20 minutes early.  I turned off my car, Miguel and I got out of the car. We walked into the dojo, I took my shoes off not wanting to disrespect my father's dojo. I hope we learn something cause I'm not in the mood to clean. I look over at Miguel, he's untying his shoes.

I look over at my father's office, I jog up to the door frame, I peer inside and notice my father drinking a beer.

"Hey dad," I say greeting my father, he takes one last sip finishing the bottle.

"It's sensei" he shouts, making me jump back, he places his beer on the table and gets up. Walking towards the dojo, he brushes past me. What the hell was that for?

"Fall in" he yells, I rush to the Mat, along with Miguel. My father looks us up and down.

"Warm-up" He yells, I rush to get warmed up with Miguel. After about 20 minutes, I'm panting and sweating. I thought I was in shape until I joined karate.

"You guys know any friends that want to learn Karate, do you?" My father questions, causing us to stop hitting the dummy, and turn around.

"What am I saying you guys don't have any friends" causing me to scoff. My dad seems on edge today.

"Hey sensei, when am I gonna learn to do some kicking?" Miguel impatiently asks,
"I was watching this YouTube video of a guy breaking boards, and it looked badass"

"Yea I wanna learn" I chipped in, throwing my best kick.

"Yeah, no shit. Kicking is badass. But you guys aren't ready." my father assured, causing me to groan in annoyance.

"Besides if I don't get more students in here, I won't be able to teach you anything." He added

"You've thought about advertising, right?" I asked,