Found Family (tododeku) [oneshot]

published 3/3/2021

ship: tododeku

       do I like this ship a lot? maybe. but relax I'm coming out with bakudeku and possibly dabi/hawks soon ;) and I do take requests for both ships and/or aus atm

type: fluff/angst

warning: bxb, noncannon ship, domestic abuse

grammar: proper capitals, unedited

word count: 3k+ (that's right ao3 length, they call me the dude the man the legend)

this is a work of fiction, inspired by a popular anime. some but not all aspects are true to canon.

𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕓𝕝𝕠𝕠𝕕 𝕠𝕗 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕔𝕠𝕧𝕖𝕟𝕒𝕟𝕥 𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕔𝕜𝕖𝕣 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕟 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕨𝕒𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕠𝕗 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕨𝕠𝕞𝕓

in which Todoroki finds home in a house not his own.

TW: domestic abuse (Shoto's father being a little bitch)

     Todoroki Shoto sat in his windowsill seat, curled with his back against the frame, pressed against the cold glass. Outside, the light pollution from the city blocked out all view of the stars. But a horned moon hung in the sky like a taunting smile, dismissing his grief by grinning down at him from its high and mighty place above the sky, the way all people in positions of power did.

     The words of his father echoed in his head, drowning out the small patter of rain on the glass beside him. 'you'll never be good enough at this rate.' 'you learn so slow, it's pathetic, and his personal favorite, 'you're so awful at this, you make me want to go dig Touya up from his grave and go back to training him instead'.

    It was the mention of his late brother that had sent Shoto back to his room, fuming silently, trying to push away those fleeting – yet still very, very sharp – images in his head, snippets of moments from his childhood, filled with Touya's soft face and loving, sunken eyes. Shoto looked down at his hands, still cut and bleeding from combat training earlier that night. He reached for his phone and scrolled through his contacts. He wanted to call someone, anyone, just talk and take his mind off of things. But who? 

     His aimless scrolling quickly led him to his favorite person's name. Midoriya Izuku. Would he still be willing to talk this late? It was almost 9:30, but it wasn't a school night. His thumb hesitated over the little green phone icon. Worth a try, right? He pressed it.

     brrr

     brrr

     brrr

     "Hello?" His sweet, soft voice came through the line like a whisper of hope in the darkness of Shoto's bedroom.

     "Midoriya..." What could he say? "My... Do you have a minute?"

     "Well, I'm on a late-night snack run with Iida and Uraraka, but-"

     "Oh. Sorry to bother you. Goodb-"

     "Todoroki, wait. What's wrong?"

     "Wrong? I never said anything is-"

     "I can hear it in your voice."