one

ONE
pride

LIFE INSIDE THE WALLS was like walking on egg shells. Every morning, men, women, and children alike couldn't help but wonder if that would be their last day alive. The looming threat of the Titans surrounded the citizens on all four sides, and they all had no choice but to sit and wait for the day of reckoning to come.

Valor knew life wasn't always like this. Her little brother, Armin, always talked about life outside the walls. His eyes lit up at the thought of flaming water, lands made of pure ice, and fields of sands that went on for miles and miles, farther than the eyes could see. Past the horizon and stretching to the end of the world, there were places the people in the walls couldn't even dream of, he would say. But the one place he dreamed of more than any was the sea. The sea, like a lake, but much larger, full of salty water all the way down.

The two were more alike than Valor cared to admit. Same blonde hair and round faces, big eyes and calm demeanor. Same adventurous spirit, as well. Her dreams were filled with snowy mountains that were so tall they broke through the clouds, forest so thick and green you couldn't see three feet ahead of you, and lakes so crystal clear you could see the bottom. But the siblings were incredibly different as well. Armin was the dreamer, and Valor was the realist. Armin lacked the brute strength, but made up for it with his brilliant ideas. His sister grew up protecting him- she'd learned early on how to improvise and throw a mean punch.

Valor had watched her baby brother grow up to dream of peace and life outside the walls. He was special; he was kind, and smarter than anyone else knew. All her life, Valor had made sure to protect her younger brother.

That's why she was going to join the Survey Corps- and no one was going to stop her.

She knew that if she didn't, Armin would have to. There would be no questions about it, and as much as she loved Armin, she wasn't blind. He was no soldier. He was just a boy, just a dreamer. He deserved to have a long life, not sacrifice his way of living to carry out a short military term to the hands of a Titan. No, Armin was the brains, and Valor was more than happy to be the brawn, if that kept him safe.

And she would do anything to keep him safe.

Valor stared out the small window in front of the kitchen sink, arms sunk to the elbows in soapy water. Her mother was busy clearing the table from lunch's mess, and her father sat idle by, reading a book. Her grandfather wasn't home, and neither was Armin, who was out with Eren, probably by the river or out in the field. They were an odd pair, but, Eren was nice enough, and he looked after Armin when Valor couldn't. She swallowed hard, trying to think of any way to break the news of her enlisting in the Cadet Corps without breaking her parents hearts.

"Well, Valor, you've waited long enough. Spit it out." Her father sighed, not looking up from his book. She froze, accidentally dropping the plate she had in her hand back into the soapy water below. She straightened, taking a deep breath. It's now or never.

She turned, looking at her father and pointedly not meeting her mothers eye. Her fathers eyes were still focused on the book in front of him, but she knew he was no longer reading. His fingers grasped at the corner of the page, ready to turn it, but he hadn't moved, and his eyes didn't follow along with the words in front of him. She attempted a smirk, but couldn't seem to change her frozen expression. "Sharp as ever, aren't you father?" She joked, but quickly looked to the floor at her fathers unimpressed expression. She scratched at the nape of her neck as he sighed, shutting his book.

     "No, you just have a shit poker face." He retaliated flatly.

     Her mother continued to stare, gaze as sharp as any blade used in the Scout regiment. Valor closed her eyes, mentally preparing for the reaction she was about to receive. Mother, please forgive me. "I enlisted this morning." She said quietly.