Freedom

Nobody's POV

"Techno, Wilbur!" Phil screamed in anguish as he ran back into the burning house.

Phil looked around through the smoke desperately trying to find where his two boys were, he sees movement.

"Boys!" He shouts.

"Dad!" Phil hears Wilbur yell.

Phil runs through the fire, ignoring the burns he felt on his wrists. He coughed because of the smoke. He finally came upon his two sons and gasped as he stared at them.

Techno sat in front of Wilbur, arms protectively over the younger. Techno seemed to be bleeding heavily from a gash on his forehead, Wilbur had burns that traveled around his neck like a collar, and Phil grabbed both of them before sprinting back out into the grass.

They all heavily coughed as they lay exhausted on the grass staring up at their burning home, their home that they had lived in all of these years. The home that contained everything they had ever owned or cared about. The moonlight overcasting the burning village in a chilling glow.

Techno looks to the government flag waving in the distance. He grits his teeth, he knew what they would say. He knew that the government would say that the destruction of their own people was necessary for the sake of war.

He knew of the corruption, he knew all the country cared about was winning the war, not the people inside of it. He stares back at his little brother as he sobs, he watches as his father stares at the burning house with teary eyes. He hears the screams of people who didn't make it out in time in the distance.

He watches as their home, their village, their people,

their friends,

go up in flames.

He would not be a part of it anymore, never again, never again would they not fight for the people that had nothing to fight with, because today they were those people.

And there was no one to fight for them, their government was supposed to fight for them.

Their government had done this to them.

They owed nothing to the government, to the land anymore, they didn't owe anything to anyone except themselves.

Never again, would they not put themselves first, look where it had gotten them.

Techno turns from the village and stares out at the open sea, as if it calls him, the waters so wild and free.

He turns back to look once again at the burning village, they would live like this no longer, they would be free.

He opens his mouth and begins to sing softly, a song that he hadn't heard in ages, however, now it seemed to feel as if it was his very soul,

a song of treason,

"The King and his men stole the Queen from her bed,"

He sees his father look over at him, confusion on his face, his son wasn't the singer of the family after all,

"and bound her in her bones..."

Wilbur pauses in his sobs to sniffle and also looks to his eldest brother as he stands staring at the burning village.

Phil's eyes widen as he recognizes the song that was so heavily outlawed, Techno's voice grows a little stronger, but it's still soft

"The seas be ours..."

Wilbur's eyes also flash with recognition, before they grow hard and bitter like Techno's as they now both stare at the flames. The three of them were the last of their village, of their people, their friends.