Chapter 5: The Tournament

A small recess was called once the cavalry battle rankings had been finalized, during which students participated in some fun mini games as they anxiously awaited the final round. Izuku nearly died of laughter when he spotted that the class 1- A girls had been tricked into dressing as cheerleaders by the resident class pervert, earning him a couple of disapproving glares from surrounding attendants. Anyone who tried pulling that prank with villainesses would likely be slaughtered on the spot, probably cementing their legacy as legendary pranksters especially if they live to tell the tale. Though to be fair there are some... stranger girls that would appreciate being dressed like that. He did know someone, a schoolgirl known for her insatiable bloodlust, that would probably choose the latter- though he was way too afraid of her to find out for sure.

Of the 42 students that survived the initial obstacle course, that number dwindled down to 16 that would participate in the ultimate test of their combat abilities: Denki Kaminari, Ejiro Kirishima, Fumikage Tokoyami, Mei Hatsume, Ibara Shiozaki, Katsuki Bakugou, Mina Ashido, Momo Yaoyorozu, Ochaco Uraraka, Sero Hanto, Shinso Hitoshi, Shoto Todoroki, and Tenya Iida. Some chose to ease their nerves by embracing the distraction the mini games provided, some chose to strategize, some chose to prepare or hype themselves up, and others just chose to rest their bodies. Before long, the finals arrived as the various torches surrounding the makeshift arena flared to life.

From the aforementioned list Tsuyu Asui, who was previously a member of team Uraraka, was set to face off against Shinso Hitoshi, who was his team captain in the cavalry battle. Izuku's attention perked up at the mention of the mysterious but dangerous general studies student. During the mini games he'd asked Kurogiri to send him a copy of his student file, obtained during a cyber attack on the school a few weeks before the USJ incident. Whatever limited information he did read intrigued him, already armed with an open notebook set on a new dedicated analysis document. Curiously, he could make out the two contestants discussing a heated topic before the match even began. Izuku just figured they probably had some history together. Within instants of the starting bell Tsuyu angrily shouted at him as she rushed forward, tongue ready to ensnare him. Izuku couldn't help but a have a sly smile upon realizing Shinso's plan, he knew as well as he did that the match was already over.

"Shinso Hitoshi, your quirk allows you to brainwash the minds of anyone who speaks- pretty much forcing them to follow your orders until they've broken out of the trance. From what I've read, you were admitted in the hero course a little later than everyone else, specifically class 1- A on Erasure- head's personal letter of recommendation. Unsurprisingly, guy probably saw a bit of himself in you since you're both sleep- deprived and have deceptively overpowered quirks. Erasing and brainwashing quirks are completely useless against the entrance exam robots, it wasn't a good test of your true potential. I never really understood why psychological quirks are looked down upon as less powerful, the only people who can defend against them are other psychics. Heck, even All Might is helpless against it, all he needs to say is 'I AM HERE' and the fight is already over. It's a good thing he wasn't at the USJ, Tenko's dramatic monologuing probably would gotten him in some big trouble" Izuku pondered, watching in disbelief as Tsuyu calmly walked out of bounds and straight into a nearby corridor. The other spectators had similar reactions plastered across their faces, as a strange silence awkwardly filled the stadium. Upon Midnight's declaration though the stadium erupted into cheers, earning a warm smile from the winner's sleep deprived demeanor especially when he noticed his classmates cheering him on. His victory was impressive; he managed to defeat a powerful opponent with a very versatile quirk without ever needing to raise a finger. In nearby seats, Izuku overheard many pro heroes applauding his quirk and condemning the school's decision to shaft him into general studies. He grinned as he finished up his notes on the purple haired boy, very much understanding the decision to transfer him to the heroics department.