Chapter 1

Kayn liked k-pop.

No, Kayn loved k-pop. It was all he listened to ever since one of his friends, Aphelios, introduced him to his favourite band. He didn't he'd like it much at first, he'd mostly listen to what Zed played on the car radio or Pentakill, which was purely to impress the new trio at school. Not that he didn't enjoy those types of music but old man music (as he labeled it purely to annoy Zed) and heavy metal got repetative and boring after a while. Not that he'd ever tell that to Zed or his friend group. Zed would complain about how "they don't make real music anymore" and Rhaast would tease him and call him a koreaboo and a weeb (did he even know what those words meant?). He couldn't risk losing his spot on the lunch table with the cool kids.

He quickly discovered multiple bands he liked, some boy band and girl crush bands he immediately fell in love with. But the one that stuck with him most was a girl band that consisted of 4 women. They were called K/DA and Kayn was mesmerised by their style, looks and of course, music. He liked the cool, laid back and rough rap lines by the lead rapper Akali. He was enchanted by the smooth voices of Evelynn and Kai'sa. He was shocked that one of his classmates, Seraphine was collabing with them too. He had overheard her conversations with Rell. He almost laughed at how unbelieveable it seemed. Sure, Seraphine was popular but her being included in one of THE K/DA's songs? Even Varus was taken aback when he told them.

His favourite member though, was none other than the charismatic lead singer Ahri. He was so excited to discover her solo career. He saw himself in her songs and even cried to some of them when he felt off and out of place. He wanted to meet her so badly, he would start crying about how her songs got him through hard times, not even able to form words.

Kayn sleepily got up from his bed and turned off his alarm. His bi coloured eyes blinked a few times as he looked at the date. It was the 12th of July. He tried to process his thoughts the best he could. "Ah, last day of school..." he thought, slight relief washing over him. School was always that one thing he was struggling ever since he was little. The only thing that gave him motivation was beating Rhaast's ass on literature, which he never really could do. Rhaast never studied but always had more knowledge about the subjects than Kayn did. Same thing went with Aatrox and Varus...

His eyes widened the second he realized. It was his birthday! How much of a clutz must he be to forget his own date of birth? Blocking out most your childhood and trying to repress unpleasant memories sure took its toll on him. He lazily threw on a shirt and pants and headed downstairs, hoping for a present from the man he considered his father.

His bare feet stepped down the wooden staircase. He was immediately greeted by Zed and his friend sitting at the small dining table in their kitchen. He wasn't expecting guests, he should have made an effort to not look like he came fresh out a coffin. The two men turned their heads at the sound of him coming down the stairs. Kayn recognised the guest, it was Shen. Him and Zed were close, some might say a little too close but Kayn knew better than try to decipher Zed's relationships, the thing that made Zed Zed was his mysterious aura.

"Good morning." Zed greeted him with a low tone. Kayn quickly responded with a "Good morning.", directing it to the both of them. His eyes darted around the room, hoping for a present. However, being the observer he was, Zed noticed and coughed loudly and beckoned with his head to the spare chair, as if demanding Kayn to sit with them. Shen remained silent but gave him a small nod as a form of greeting, he wasn't the one to talk much, 1 or 2 words on occasion.

Kayn dragged the chair backwards and sat on it, putting his elbows on the table with his face in his hands. Expectant eyes looked at Zed, not knowing how to start the conversation. Luckily, Zed spoke first.