A New Neighbour.

Southampton was where I lived. In a little house in Portsmouth. The aroma was of stinky fishes and the salty water. Everywhere was fishermen and 'Fish 'n Chips' shops.

My house was all coloured in white and was a little cottage with flowery porches and all. I lived with just my Mother. She had long straight black hair, tanned skin and light blue eyes. She was 5'4. I was the same like my Mother. Only I had long curly black-brown hair and green eyes. My skin tone was vampiric. I was all pale and I was 4'10. And I wore rectangular black glasses. My eyesight wasn't at all great, I was short-sighted.

My name was Rosette. Rosette Wallet. My Mother was called Calla Wallet.
There was a thing for flower names that ran in my family.

My Father died when I was born. 'In a brawl' my Mother would say. I'm the only child; I was supposed to have a twin brother but Mother said she had a miscarriage. 'Too little iron' she would say.

Today was the day a new neighbour came. My old neighbours went and deserted their house because of my Mother and me. Said we were too 'abnormal' and 'physically dangerous'.

We weren't. They were just bluffing around. I still remember them, the Parkinson's. Last time I heard they were dead. Got their throats slit. Serves them right. They abused their own daughter. She was only five before she got killed by them.

Her name was Lily. She looked like one. With her red hair, vibrant blue eyes and pallor of a porcelain doll. She looked so innocent when she died. With her little body eagle spread and her eyes closed she looked like a little doll. She was beautiful. The blood was around her like a painting and her hair was spread out like a halo around her head. She looked ethereal.

Swinging on the swing slowly I was deep in thought. I wonder if the new neighbours would be the same as the Parkinson's or if they would be darker. Everyone's got a dark little secret. Maybe they had a harsher one than the rest of us.

"Darling, please come inside. It's not good to stay outside with just a ratted t- shirt on." My Mother called from inside. She was always worried about me. She honestly treated me like glass.

"Okay Mother. I'll be in a second." I replied. Stopping my train of thought I lifted myself gently from the swing. I trailed inside at a slow speed.

"Thank you. Dear, what did I tell you about going outside with only jeans and a shirt on?" She didn't seem mad only curious. 'Curiosity killed the cat' I thought. I didn't want her to die, she was my best friend.

I had friends at school but they were just that. Friends. My Mother and I had a special connection with each other. And I loved her.

"The new neighbours will be arriving soon." My mother stated when I didn't answer her question.

I just nodded and sat down at the counter. She smiled at me for a second before returning to her roast dinner she was making for our new guests and neighbours.

Looking up I rested my chin on my hand. These days were the worst; nothing to do, everything was painfully boring and it would be like this for six more weeks. Lovely.

"Love do you think you can make a soufflé? Or a cheesecake? Please, since I've got my hands full of the main and second course. Not to mention the sides." My Mother said looking at me carefully. She always scrutinised me when ever she thought I wasn't looking. Maybe to see if I was doing okay...

"Yes. Ok, Mother. I'm making a soufflé" I nodded quickly, got up, and got to work.

Half an hour later we were done. Now we needed to change. My Mother and I looked at each other, we were both thinking the same thing.

"Yes." I answered for her unspoken question. She gratefully nodded and went up the stairs to her room to change.

Trotting upstairs to my room I thought of what I was going to wear. What impression I was going to make. Would I be horrible or good? Polite or rude?

Once in my room, which was painted in a rosy red colour, I went towards my black wardrobe.

I didn't know what to wear. So, in the end, I took out a blue flowery top with a black skirt and black tights. Next was my black scarf linked with a white scarf. Mother did this for me. Finally I applied mascara, eyeliner and lip gloss and took out my blue Mary Janes.

I quite liked being short. Because 1.) I was vertically challenged and 2.) I had a great perspective of life. I was always looking up. Get it?

"Ding Dong," the bell rang and my Mother opened the door. She, Mother, was wearing a flowery red dress with a light black cardigan on top. She was wearing Mary Janes as well.

There were three guests; a lady with blonde hair and hazel eyes, a man with black hair and brown eyes and a boy with blonde-black hair and silver-grey eyes.

The lady, mother to the boy I suppose, wore a green dress with silver embroidery. The man, father I presume, wore a silver tux with a green tie and the boy wore a checkered red shirt with black skinny jeans.

The boy looked to be about a year younger than me. I was sixteen so he was fifteen. He looked cute; in a lost puppy kind of way. And he reminded me of someone I once knew.

"Oh! You're our new neighbours! Pleasure to meet you! I'm Calla Wallet and this is my daughter Rosette Wallet." My Mother greeted them happily. I just nodded and smiled when I heard my name.

"And we are the Santons. I'm Della Santon-" the blonde gestured to herself, "- this is Derek Santon-" she gestured to her husband, "- and this one is called Jamie-" she pinched his cheek. I felt sorry for Jamie. Least my Mother never did that. Glancing at him I gave him a pitiful smile. He just rolled his eyes and smiled back.

"Well come in! Come in! My daughter and I have made dinner for you. Think of it as a welcome greeting." She indicated for them to go inside. "Oh and take your shoes off." I added cheekily.

The couple just stared at me and the boy nodded and took his Chuck Taylor's off.

"Now, dinner!" My Mother clapped her hands and gestured towards the dining room. Now let's see what secrets the Santons are hiding..this'll be good.

I smirked to myself and went inside the dining room.