one

The evening quickly set in as the sun had already fully set. Eyes heavy and glazed over after looking at the computer screen all day. Though, this was how he made an income. How he chose to live.

"Clay! Get in here and set the table!"

Living with his family isn't exactly where he'd plan on being, but for now it was fine. Plus seeing patches everyday was a bonus.

"Coming!" He yelled back after logging off. His desk was a huge mess but, he liked it that way.

The tall, dirty blonde emerged from his dark cold room. Out into the much brighter and warm hall way that led to stairs.

Clay winched as the sudden light caused a headache very quickly. He adjusted, and headed up the stairs to the kitchen.

His mom who was making sure dinner was all ready glanced at her son and smiled. "We just need plates and cups. You're sister already put silverware and napkins out."

With a quick nod he took the plates first and set them out for his parents and siblings.

"Clay, come here." His father had called from the deck just outside the sliding door by the kitchen.

"Just a second." He quickly took the cups and set them out as well before joining his father outside.

He stood tall, with a proud smile on his face as he took a moment to appreciate his hard work. Nicely cooked hamburgers and some chicken stacked neatly on a serving platter.

"Think mom will have a burger?" He questioned his son as he stepped out on the deck.

Shrugging his shoulders he stood beside him.

"Well." He picked the plate up and looked at his son. "She'll have some meat one way or another." He laughed ridiculously loud as he walked back into the house.

"Why. Why did you have to tell me that?" He said as he stayed outside a moment longer. Wishing he never had to hear that ever again.

A few minutes passed and his mother called again but this time for all the children to come as dinner was completely ready.

Taking a deep breath, he turned around and headed back inside. To which his family had all been seated, and waited for him.

While he took his seat, his younger sister had been rambling about something that seemed to bore his father so much he looked asleep.

"What are you going on about?" Clay asked with a small laugh as he scooted himself in.

Her eyes lit up with joy as someone had finally shown some interest in what she was talking about.

"Clay, you should listen to this guys music. It's amazing! I really want to see him in concert. That would be so awesome.." she carried on while the rest of the family had started eating.

With a smile, he allowed her to go on till she couldn't find anything else to say.

"The only bad thing is I don't have a job. Or a car. Or money to go see him. Dad doesn't want to go. Mom says it'll give her a headache and so now I feel like I'll never have a chance."

"A chance at what?" He asked while taking a bite of his hamburger.

A soft giggle left her mouth before she looked at her brother again. "You know.."

Clay couldn't help the loud laugh leave his chest as he seen her face turn a soft red.

"Hey, don't laugh!" She said angrily while punching his arm.