16. The Awakening.

"Hajime...?"

I was so taken aback by the scene before me that I forgot to call him by his proper title. Granted, his motionless figure lying on the bed in front of me did not seem very princely. In his current state, he seemed so peaceful, yet it was so different from the prince that I had known and adored.

Or, was this feeling I felt more than admiration?

Despite my thoughts, I kept my focus intently on the boy in front of me. Was he asleep? Dead? Comatose? Playing a prank on me? I had no idea what to do, if anything at all.

Thankfully, I never had to answer that question on my own accord. A nurse dressed in white clothing suddenly entered the room, her eyes widening at my presence.

"Lady (y/n), what are you doing here?!" She exclaimed. "His majesty is not accepting visitors at this time, you need to leave..."

"Sorry, miss," I replied, my voice wavering as I spoke. "I just wanted to check on him. How is his status?"

"I cannot say," she replied sternly. "Now, please leave, before I have to call the guards."

"Wait! I only want to know if he is alive!" I pleaded desperately. Ever since I was first taken away, the image of him taking the bullet for me at the ball replayed in my head over and over again. I felt an immense wave of guilt pass over me, realizing that, if he was dead, that it would be my fault. And to have a hand in the death of someone you care so deeply about...

Suddenly, my thought spiral came to an end, as a familiar voice broke the tension in the room.

"Who said anything about me being dead?"

I whipped my head around, and was surprised to find my eyes met the green ones of the prince, which were open and studying me inquisitively.

"Your majesty!" I exclaimed, letting out a surprised gasp. The prince's lips curled into a small smile, which nearly made me melt on sight. It was something I had missed so dearly during my time in captivity.

The maid in the room paled, her eyes widening in surprise. "Your majesty! You're awake!"

"More or less," the prince replied. He leaned forward in an attempt to prop himself up, but ended up wincing and letting out a small grunt. "Well, after attempting that, I wish it was less."

"I'm so glad you are ok," I exclaimed, feeling my eyes begin to well up with tears. "Your majesty, I am deeply sorry for what happened at the ball..."

"I shall grab your brother, your majesty," the maid interjected, causing both of us to turn our attention to her.

"That won't be necessary, miss," the prince replied gently. "Would you mind giving myself and lady (y/n) a moment alone? You ought to take a rest after worrying over me through so much."

"T-thank you, your majesty," the girl replied, flustered at the brunette's words. With a quick curtsy, she was off, leaving the two of us alone in the room.

"Come here," the prince gently requested, to which I moved closer to his bedside and stood by his head. The prince gently took one of my hands, clasping it in mine as he gently stroked it with the thumb of his hand.

"Your majesty, I am so happy you are ok..." I whispered. "I am deeply sorry about what happened on the balcony."

The prince gently squeezed my hand. "Lady (y/n), do not apologize to me for another second. I would have done that again a thousand times over if it meant that you would be spared. And yet, I could not protect you... it should be me apologizing to you, my lady."

"Stop that!" I exclaimed. "You did more than enough! Why would you put yourself in such danger for me?"

"It's because I-"

"BROTHER!"

Before the prince could finish his sentence, both of us were startled by a sudden slam of a door and a hell. We both turned to door to find a flustered prince Komaeda standing at it. "You are awake!"

"I wish I was not after you startling us like that," the brunette replied bluntly. Though his tone was flat, his lips were curled into a smile, and I knew for a fact he was just as excited to see him.

"I am so thankful you are ok," the white haired prince exclaimed. "(Y/n), what are you doing here? Could you please leave?"

So history repeats itself, I thought to myself, remembering how Prince Hajime had asked the maid to leave mere moments before. I quickly glanced at both of the boys before letting out a defeated sigh. Guess I will not be figuring out what Prince Hajime had to say, after all.

"Of course, your majesties," I replied, giving them both a quick curtsy. "I pray for you to recovery swiftly, Prince Hajime."

The green eyed prince smiled at me, his eyes half lidded as he gazed at me kindly. "Thank you, (y/n). Visit back soon, alright?"

And with that, I was off, leaving the room to head down the hallway and back to my living quarters.

Or was I? When I left the room, none of the servants or guards were anywhere to be seen. And thus, I decided to linger by the door for a moment longer, listening in on their conversation.

"How are you feeling?" Prince Komaeda asked. "Does it still hurt?"

"Admittedly, yes," Prince Hajime replied. "It is not too unbearable, however. I am just thankful to be alive."

"I am thankful you are too, dear brother."

"Can I ask how lady (y/n) is doing?"

I felt my heart pound in my chest at the prince's mention of my name. Hopefully I would not get caught just beyond the door...

"She seems to be alright. However, after enduring such a traumatic event, I would not be surprised is she is still processing it. She has been mostly kept out of the loop in terms of the circumstances of her kidnapping, however, so I would caution you to avoid mentioning it to her."

Circumstances? What circumstances?

"I do not know what you mean," prince Hajime replied. "Could you please elaborate?"

"She was being used as a ransom," the prince replied. "The imperial kingdom seemed to just want money, at first. But to pick her out of all of the other girls seemed to throw me for a loop. But then I recalled our conversation in the piano room about both of us fancying her."

"You don't mean?"

I had to resist letting out a gasp from behind the door.

"Dear brother, I believe there is a spy from the Imperial Kingdom among us. And that they are plotting something more sinister than we had originally believed."

((Sorry it's been a minute! I hope you enjoyed! I hope to update more frequently!))